Tuesday 19 September 2017

The Joys of Being on Holiday at Home!

Cooking on toy stove with a Staub tiny pot

Yesterday was a lazy day.  After all that Sunday drilling I decided to rest my wrists and take a day out.  Inter alia, I experimented with my toy stove.  Could I cook an apple on it?  I had done it before, but not inside a receptacle, and the mess had been considerable.  So I decided to try to do it inside a small pot.

Well, the smallest saucepan I have looked too big on the tiny stove.  So I gave my tiny Staub casserole a go.  I bought a few of them in a moment of madness - I have many such moments - and have been trying to use them ever since, with mixed results.  Coddling eggs, mainly.

Anyway, last night I used them for baking an apple.  The pot was too small for an un-cut apple, so I cut it into pieces, added butter and sugar and cinnamon and raisins, and put it on the stove.  Which was heated by a super large tea light.

Four hours later .... Time to go to bed.  Huge lump of soot under the stove top, and apple pieces only marginally cooked.

No automatic alt text available.
I was trying to replicate the results presumably obtained by using one of these apple bakers, who also claim to cook the apple with only a tea light.

Well I am not convinced.  Notice how the photo only shows the uncooked apple?

Reading the description in detail, I notice you are supposed to first microwave the apple.

Like what?!?!?!?

Call that an apple baker?

I finished my Staub casseroled apple pieces in the oven this morning, while baking my Viennese Rolls.  I made them using the no-knead method, to save my wrists the kneading effort.



 
Tasty crusty rolls



Made in a Wagner Viennese Rolls pan, circa 1930