Sunday 17 September 2017

The Door Project - Part 2 of the Tragedy: Doweling

The little short stick is a dowel

I laboured all day on the trickiest part of the project:  Drilling holes and inserting dowels.  The hardest part is getting the two parts you want to join up perfectly matched.  The drill is not as accurate as it might be, and sometimes the hole ends up where it shouldn't, and then I have to drill another one.....

Mark the places where holes should be drilled

Mark the parts you need to join together

Make sure the wood is steady for drilling!  If I take out the drawer under the table I can attach this Imp Clamp

Creating a master for the holes

To stop the drill from slipping, I sometimes make a preliminary hole with a nail

Masters for drilling holes through - not quite right yet!

I put it onto the plank I want to drill, and drill through the master

Progress is slow

Getting those planks to be steady isn't easy!


That took a lot of drilling - my hands hurt!

Laid out  in the dining room - now I need to drill holes into the two side planks

One plank joined to one side plank



This is a good stopping point -  tomorrow is another day.  Hope my hands recover by then!


Dutch Baby - I deserve an after work snack after all that drilling!!!