Sunday 10 September 2017

Holiday Projects - Kitchen Shelves #2


I have a tiny kitchen, and space is at a premium.  So every now and then I devise a keen & cunning scheme to create a little more storage space.  As you may remember, some time ago I turned the blocked up internal kitchen window into a storage cupboard.

 http://dblenck.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/a-little-home-improvement-project.html

I recently purchased - cheap - a set of two shelves.  However, they turned out to be too heavy and sported too many useless - and weighty - features.  So I took them apart, and gained four shelves, plus six little wooden divider thingies, which I shall fit into the operations somehow.

Anyway, I now had four, not two, shelves to put up.  I had wanted the shelves to put up over the kitchen window overlooking the garden, which I shall attempt to do later.  But as I sat pondering my four shelves, I thought I'd try and install a few shelves under the internal kitchen window.  I sort of need the space for my step ladder, but perhaps one could install shelves above the step ladder area?

Well, the deed was done, and I am quite pleased with the results.  The shelves are only six inches deep, but are just big enough to hold all those bits and pieces that float around the kitchen without a proper place.  I was also able to put my cookie tins there, and to transfer a few more glass containers from my kitchen cupboard to the kitchen window shelves.

For those who follow my adventures closely, I can report that the event at Wadham College was a great success!

Very messy work shed

Getting a right angle is important when cutting shelves to size!

First shelf up!

Cutting the second shelf to size - and yes, that is anHermes ribbon tied to the handle of the saw - they are very sturdy, and handy for hanging things up!

Second shelf up!

The end result - pleasing to my eye!