Wednesday 20 September 2017

The Door Project - Part 4: Finishing and reinforcing the frame

Upside down door, all glued together

This morning I finished the gluing together.  Unfortunately one drill hole was 1mm too much to one side, so I had to re-drill it, but other than that everything glued together well.

I also had to attend to the 3mm gap between the bottom and almost-bottom planks of the door.  I had added the almost-bottom plank as an afterthought, to further strengthen the door, and unfortunately this meant that there was a little gap (let's not get into details - spruce wood planks aren't cut as regular as one might hope!).

Anyway, I glued some bamboo chopsticks into the gap, and am quite pleaded with the result.  There were also one or two 1mm gaps elsewhere in the door, which I filled with glue and toothpicks.  Then I rubbed some sawdust into the leftover gaps - works quite well.  To think I threw away most of my sawdust - I should have kept it, mixed it with glue, and used it on the knot-holes.

Gap filled with chopsticks

Gap filled with toothpicks and sawdust
Having filled in all the little cracks and gaps in my door, I attached the re-inforcers - thin metal plates with holes in them.  My door is lightweight and not very thick, so anything that strengthens it is a good idea.


Re-inforcers

Re-inforcers

A re-inforced door


As a result of the aforementioned wonky wood, I noticed that one side of the top plank did not sit evenly on the two side planks, so I sawed through one of the dowels, re-glued the corner, re-inforced it with a metal plate, and clamped it together to straighten it out.

After all the glue dried, I painted on the first layer of primer/undercoat, with the help of some porter - I seem to be turning into some sort of builder, I will probably start to put sugar into my tea again and think of excuses of why everything is taking so long!