Friday 15 September 2017

Coffee culture on a peaceful afternoon ....


Coffee idyll with supporting players


I am having a quiet, peaceful week at home.  I had another sloe picking session with a friend, and managed to almost entirely fill my two large bottles - 4.5 and 5 liters respectively.  I will probably go one more time, to fill the bottles completely and use up my last bottle of gin - what else can one do with it?

The de-cluttering is practically complete.  The neighbourhood second hand shop has received about a dozen shopping bags full of stuff to sell, and charity shops have also benefited.  The laundry backlog is almost gone, and the house is clean.

Obviously the ideal time to take some well-deserved comforts and indulge in a long, sensuous, indulgent, coffee afternoon.  Which I did!

Some time ago I bought a replica cast iron stove as a gift for a friend's daughter, which was rejected as a fire hazard.  So I have fitted it into my household as a pot-warmer.  I have put a tealight into the oven part, and use the cooking surface to keep my coffee pot hot.  It works extremely well!  Some pot-warmers use naked flames directly under a pot to keep the pot warm, but that can crack the pot - I managed to graze one that way.  Usually I rest my cast iron tea-kettles on my little stove, but this afternoon I was in the mood for coffee.

Notice the tea-light candle?

Tea kettle

Part one of a coffee interlude - grind the beans in a Zassenhaus coffee-grinder!

Spare coffee-grinder - it's good to have a back-up!

Part two involves a porcelain filter and filter paper

I also add some Buisman, of course!

Cream and sugar are a welcome addition to an afternoon coffee extravaganza

Almost there!

While emptying the pot I watched a National Geographic Youtube special about sacred crocodiles in the Sahara - a report I have seen before but which never fails to fascinate me.

Life is good in the Little House right now!

This evening I am studying the doors and windows chapter of my Practical Woodworker - that door still needs to be completed!  Updates on this blog, obviously.