Thursday 7 September 2017

Lentil stew with lots of green herbs


Yesterday I made an old favourite - lentil stew!

I made it in my thick-stews Coalbrookdale pot, a tall cast iron pot made for AGA.  I like these pots, their height is greater than their width, which is ideal for soups and stews.  It is rare to find pots with such proportions, most cast iron pots nowadays have a wide girth and a low height.

I soak the lentils for a few hours, and boil them up with three times the volume of water as I use lentils.


After the lentils are almost tender, I add carrots, potatoes, and sausages, and cook the stew for another 30 minutes.  Then I add the leeks, garlic, and some Herbes de Provence.

While the stew cooks, I chop whatever green herbs or greens I have - in this case, watercress and rocket.  I also throw in some scallions.



Cook stew for another ten minutes, add salt, and tobasco sauce to taste.


Yummmmmmmmm......

The following day ...
Lentil stew gets better if heated up the next day!  You may want to add some more fresh greens.