Friday 13 December 2013

The Tiny Visitors - How I met them



Introductory Remarks

I have been meaning to tell the story of the Tiny Visitors for some time now, but there have been difficulties.  Firstly, they are not all that easy to understand, and now that I can talk with all of them, not just Heini Heinkel, I find that they contradict each other and I am not always able to ascertain which version of the story is correct.  This is OK when one writes a novel, but for a blog this is irksome – I can’t keep going back to earlier posts and revise everything! 

Then there is the fact that new tiny visitors have arrived since I began to write the story, who have their own tales to tell and add to the story – sometimes this makes quite a difference!  I have to decide which parts to reveal in the blog, because on the one hand I have been sworn to secrecy, and on the other I am expected to let their Old Friends Out There know where they are and what they are up to and how they can help.  And each of the Tiny Visitors has her/his own opinion on the matter!

So it is all terribly difficult, and I tried to avoid doing anything at all.  But pressure has been brought to bear, so I have decided to do the best I can and if it is unsatisfactory well, tough luck!  So here is the first instalment; I shall endeavour to post new instalments every week or so.

How I met the Tiny Visitors

As I am writing this, six little scale model gliders are circling around my head, chattering in their strange high pitched voices, which sound more like the swishing of air than real voices, and several more are perched on the top of my laptop.  It took a long time for me to understand them at all!

It all began some time ago when I was sick in bed.  I was bored and lonely, and suddenly a small red flying object landed just outside of the window of my room.  Red?  I knew of no bird of that colour, and anyway it was too slim for a bird.  Perhaps a large dragonfly?  I cannot see well without my glasses, and by the time I had found them and put them on the little creature had disappeared.

The next day it returned.  The window was open a crack, and it perched on the window ledge, looking into the room.  When I reached for my glasses, it flew away again.

The third day I was feeling better, and sat propped up in bed reading.  The window was wide open, and the little red creature flew into the room!  It settled on one of the leaves of the clivia that stands on the little table in front of the window.  The creature appeared to be very cautious, so I took pains not to stir.  But since I was wearing my glasses, I managed to take a good look at it, and finally saw what it was.

It was a little red Reiher, made of plastic or bakelite, with a grey head, so obviously quite old, I reckoned pre-WWII.  But what was it doing here, and how did it get about?  I half expected to hear the giggling of small children who were playing a prank on me!

Before I managed to make up my mind on this matter the Reiher flew away again.  The next day I felt better and got out of bed and back to work, and thought it was the end of the matter.  But it wasn’t!

The following Sunday I was sitting at my desk, busy writing a story about an evil witchcraft master intent on destroying the world.  The story was very exciting, and unfolded as I was writing it, and since I really wanted to know how it would end I was writing furiously and not paying attention to anything going on outside of my window.  Suddenly there was a little tap at the window – the red Reiher had returned and was trying to get in!  And more exciting still, it had brought along several friends, equally red and reiherish!

I got up very very slowly and went to the window.  The Reihers remained on the window sill.  I opened the window as slowly as I could, smiling like an idiot and making reassuring humming noises, of the sort I imagined might put the Reihers at ease.  It seemed to do the trick, because none moved until I had opened the window and returned to my seat.  Then they all flew into the room and settled on top of the photo-frame on my desk.  It almost seemed as though they settled there to tell me their story!

Time passed, and the little Reihers continued to visit me.  And they brought their friends!  Apparently there was a little tribe of tiny scale model gliders living in my defunct bathroom chimney.

One night I saw them, flying around the chimney in the light of the harvest moon, which hung low in the sky, huge and golden and seemingly straight from a fairy tale.  Around and around they went, circling the chimney, like tiny fairies dancing in a long forgotten dream.  But they were real, and eventually I was to find out that their story was real, too – tragic and sad, as so many fairy tales.  And they wanted me to bring about a happy ending!  Me!  But I am getting ahead of myself.

The following Saturday I was typing away again furiously at my Witches tale, when the whole group sailed into the room through the open window and descended on the clivia.  There were ten in all.  First four red Reihers, then a Weihe, followed by a Meise, a Minimoa, a Fafnir, a Rhönadler, and finally, weirdly, a He 111!  When they had all settled themselves comfortably, the latter flew three times around my head to get my attention, and rested himself on the upper rim of my laptop.  “Guten Morgen,” he said in perfect German, and continued in this language throughout (I have translated what he said for the convenience of my readers).

“I am Heini,” he said.  “I have been nominated to speak to you, because I am bigger than my friends and have a louder voice.”  He was indeed much larger and substantial than the others.  “I will tell you the story of my friends and I, and why we have chosen to make ourselves known to you.  The fact is, we need your help in finding our missing friend Fatty Messerschmitt.”  Thus began the strangest narrative I ever heard.