Wednesday 25 December 2013

Merry Christmas Day!


I have been having a splendid Christmas so far.  Today I slept late, had a light breakfast, a large lunch (duck), and listened to any amount of funny entertainment on the wireless.  I also spent some time trying to match the colours of my new cardigans to my scarves (new and existing ones).  For some strange reason I am becoming increasingly attracted to strong green tops, which I pair with bright yellow scarves - my ambition is to look like a dandelion in a field in the sunshine.  I found two green cardies under the tree last night, and also a green pullover, so there are all sorts of flower imitation possibilities.

There were any number of other presents as well - thank you my generous friends!  Arguably the best gift is the above pictured Monkey Mother and Child bronze.  It is 5 inches tall and quite heavy.  The mother has a very sweet expression on her face, and her posture is slightly anxious, protective of her child, which latter looks a bit afraid of a world it has only entered recently, tightly clasped by and clasping its mother.  It is a very tender little statue, and I feel like giving it a cuddle whenever I see it.  It seems a strangely appropriate Christmas present, seeing as we are today celebrating the birth of a child who faced a very uncertain future in a cruel world, and whose mother knew that she would not be able to do much to protect him.

I took many photos yesterday, and as usual when taking photos in a dark room I either use the flash and get a starkly bright result, or use a long exposure lime and get a muddy image.  Nevertheless I think some of the photos, especially the close-ups of the Christmas ornaments, are quite nice.

The weather has improved a little, though I did not stir from the house.  It is supposed to get worse again later in the week, when I plan to travel, worse luck!  I have not been able to do my Bird-Christmas yet, seeds and maggots would blow all over the garden if I tried.  But since it is not too cold and there is plenty of wild food around I dare say the birds won't miss it.  I'll do something tomorrow for them.

I trust you are all enjoying your Christmas dinner!  Don't eat too much!