Tuesday 13 September 2016

In Praise of my Triplets – Joseph & Ruby

Today I read in the New York Times that 'reverse mentoring' is the next big thing in company networking. Basically, it means that younger employees mentor older ones, teaching them technical skills, that sort of thing.

Interesting development. I have no need for that, of course, because I already have two top notch mentors in the form of my splendid triplets, both in their mid-20s, and sharp as needles. We 'mentor' each other, and the exchange of knowledge and ideas goes both ways. This works best when everyone involved is equally knowledgeable and keen to pass that knowledge on, obviously. Too often mentoring is only one way, and that can result in a hierarchical relationship which can easily be resented.

I never quite understood the tendency of the older generation (including my own age group) to think in hierarchies, accompanied by the idea that younger folk know less than they did at their age and are generally degenerates, going down the drain fast. Rather a silly idea, I think. In my experience everyone knows an awful lot, and it seems futile to rank that knowledge in any ways whatsoever.

For example, I have beautiful – and readable! - handwriting, but can't touch-type. For most young people the opposite is the case. Similarly, I have a grasp of history that surprises younger folk. But they have an understanding of social network websites that astonishes me. Does that make me superior or inferior to them? In my view neither; we just have different skills, which are valuable in different contexts. It is just too easy for both younger and older generations to dismiss the skills, knowledge, and wisdom of the others, just because they are different from their own and thus not understood.

The reason for this is perhaps that there isn't enough meaningful contact on an equal footing between the generations, instead of the hierarchical contact that happens with family, teachers, and bosses. Older people wouldn't resent and dismiss today's youth so much if they dealt with them as equals, and didn't assume they always knew better just because they were older. And younger people need to remember that it is natural for older people to know more than they do – they simply have more years worth of experience to draw upon.

My triplets have been grown-ups for ten years; I have been a grown-up for forty years. During those forty years I have watched, listened, discussed, and thought about a huge amount of news, and accumulated and digested an enormous amount of information. What kind of idiot would I be if I didn't know more than people who only had one quarter of that time to learn? Putting it the other way round, what sort of a genius must the younger person be to accumulate the same amount of experience in one quarter of the time?

Every generation, nay every individual person, face their own unique circumstances, and will develop ways to deal with these circumstances, resulting in unique understanding and experience that will enrich and progress the store of human knowledge.

Obviously, all other things being equal, a fifteen year old will have contributed less than a twenty-five year old, who will have contributed less than a thirty-five year old. But that doesn't mean that fifteen year olds don't have anything valuable to contribute, and aren't worth listening to as equals – with regard to their unique experience, they are the experts!

Of course, it is a lot easier to achieve such mutual respect and appreciation among triplets! That's one of the reasons why I am a great supporter of the triplet concept, which might be summed up as follows.

Scare up a couple of hopefuls you think you can jell with. Persons who are intelligent, knowledgeable, sociable, genial, and generally worth spending time with. Ideally people who differ from you in areas of experience, age, and background – that will allow maximisation of mutual experience-exchange. And then spend as much time with them as possible. Simple, really.


Joseph and Ruby, I salute you! You are the best triplets ever!



Long may it last.