Monday 5 September 2016

A visit to St-Sauves


St-Sauves is a little village I pass through in the bus on the way to la Bourboule.  I often wondered what it was like - it looks quite nice in the twenty seconds or so I see of it through the bus window.

Today my cure wasn't as exhausting as it usually is, however I am already feeling the stirring of one or two dozen cold germs in the remote areas of my body.  The weather is still nice.  So I figured, who knows how long I will be able to seek out non-la Bourboulian climes, and set forth today after breakfast to visit the 1,200 head-strong St-Sauves.

It is about 5km away, and since I dawdled along the way it took me one and a half hours each way.  I am a bit out of practice, and when I decided to go shopping for food after I had returned (another hour there and back) my feet made their displeasure felt ....

St-Sauves from a distance

I misread this as 'EU' and was mightily cheered
Despite my high hopes, nurtured during the last eight years of driving through St-Sauves, it proved disappointing.  I don't know why I expected exciting shops and little boutiques catering to the spoiled likes of me - well there are no such things in St-Sauves.  I had planned to have lunch there before walking back home, but the offerings were so uninspiring that I went straight back home, after having made numerous photos - I know what I owe my readership!




Inside the church of St-Sauves, which is very much like the one I visited in Murat-le-Quaire




Immediately after this photo was taken this cat was attacked by a black cat, and a noisy battle ensued.  I averted my eyes and passed on.


An old weighing station for cattle - I tried to weigh myself but it is no longer operational



Gate from the 12th century, the cat fight took place nearby - making it 'cat-gate'?



I measured the width of this house - 1 (one!) meter

Walking back to la Bourboule


Lots of closed down houses, like elsewhere in the region.  It is very sad, looks like the place is dying.  More people should have their holidays in the Auvergne!

The Barrage, which I visited on my way back

It used to be a tourist attraction, with little boats that one could rent - about 70 years ago....