Sunday 29 June 2014

When the going gets tough the tough bake cookies!

Molasses cookies straight from the oven

As my nearest & dearest know, I have been buying cast iron cooking equipment like mad recently.  Among my purchases was a Bacon Press (see photo) and also two cast iron cookie sheets.

Bacon Press on top of cookie sheet on top of griddle


What madness is this, I hear you say, cast iron cookie sheets?  Well, they weigh a ton and I bought them in the States, so the shipping was high.  There is a supplier in Hamburg that sells them, but I would have paid twice of what I paid to my American supplier, even including postage.

Cookie dough


The trouble with regular aluminum sheets is that they stick and bend, and with non-stick sheets that the non-stick eventually comes off and ends up in your food, and I don't think that is healthy.  Both aluminum and non-stick last about three years with me.  The trouble with cast iron sheets is that they are heavy - but if I use two hands that is OK.  They are also hot - but so is everything that comes out of a hot oven.  And you know what, cast iron lasts practically forever!

Sheet after I lifted off the cookies- no residue, nothing stuck!


Anyway, today I decided to bake molasses cookies using my new cookie sheets.  They are from Lodge and pre-seasoned.  Usually I season cast iron pots and pans at least half a dozen times, but this time I just lightly brushed them with lard and put them in the hot oven while I prepared the cookie batter.  I took the sheets out of the hot oven, added the cookie batter in little mounds, and put the sheet back in the oven.

After lifting off the cookies I brushed the sheet with lard (perfect for conditioning cast iron)

Little dough lumps ready to be baked


After 15 minutes I checked the cookies, they were done.  I took the sheet from the oven, placed it on a wooden board, and waited three minutes.  Then I was able to lift the cookies off WITH MY FINGERS!!!!  They were hot, of course, but did not stick to the sheet at all.  Not even a tiny bit.  I brushed the sheet with lard, added more lumps of cookie dough, and baked another batch.  Normally I need two cookie sheets, one bakes while I scrape the cookie crusts off the other.  But not this sheet, I just used the one sheet uninterruptedly.  I am really pleased with these sheets, well worth the postage!

Use silicon gloves to handle the hot cookie sheets!


The cookies are rather good, too!

Have a good week, everyone!