Saturday 5 October 2013

Le Reve de Gloria – Designed by Australian Artist



Gloria Petyarre is an Autralian aborigine artist famous for her paintings that incorporate images of the Australian bush.  The scarf she designed for Hermes, Le Reve de Gloria (Gloria’s Dream) depicts special leaves with medicinal properties, which are used by the Aborigines to treat many ailments.  She is the first Australian artist ever to design an Hermes scarf.

Mrs Petyarr lives in the remote desert community of Utopia, some 250 km northeast of Alice Springs.  She has no telephone, and can only be reached via a personal visit.  She has travelled and exhibited all over Australia as well as overseas, and won one of Australia's most prestigious art awards, the Wynne Prize, in 1999.

I decided to post photos of this scarf, which I own in the red and brown and black leaves on a white background with a red border version, because there is very little information about it out there.  It seems to be nobody’s ‘Grail’ scarf, and there are few photos.  While researching it I found any number of photos purporting to be of Le Reve de Gloria which were actually photos of a different scarf – Faubourg Express!  I am posting lots of photos here, to help anyone wanting to buy one second hand authenticate it. 

The scarf was brought out in 2009.  There is also a grey colour-way, also a blue one and what appears to be a fuchsia/purple one.  I have not found a complete list of colour-ways.  The scarf looks like it is very easy to fake, and when I bought mine - from an Ebay seller with only 3 feedback points and few photos, so I stuck my neck out a bit there – I was seriously worried that I might be landed with a fake.  I gave it a chance because this scarf shows up so rarely on Ebay, and I was quite keen to have it.  I was lucky and the seller turned out to be honest, albeit inexperienced.  Hopefully my photos will show any potential buyer what to look for if they find a Le Reve de Gloria scarf they want to buy.  Of course it may be that the forgers never bothered to fake this scarf, given the lack of interest shown by the scarf collecting community!

There is no name on this scarf.  There is just the name of the artist, simply GLORIA at the very top of the scarf near the border, in the centre, written in caps.  At the bottom of the scarf is written, in similar free style, though not in caps, Hermès - Paris.  There is also a copyright sign @ Hermès, hidden in the foliage in the top right quarter – close to the border and about 9 inches below the GLORIA; it is upside down when viewing the scarf with the GLORIA at the top.  The label is small and white, and located in the left top corner, as per the photo below. 

This is a very beautiful and interesting scarf, very different from the ones I usually buy.  If one looks at the leaf pattern long enough they start to move!  I bought this scarf because I have been coming home with a headache every single night because of the new database at work – the less said the better.  Lesser mortals would have taken a painkiller, but as usual I self-medicated by buying a scarf.  Considering that the leaves depicted are medicinal, it was a very apt purchase, I believe!









See the copyright?


Copyright at right hand side, one cm above bottom of photo







Copyright symbol again