Saturday 12 October 2013

A Peaceful Saturday …….




Today was the first Saturday since my return from La Bourboule that I didn’t have to work.  I am still rather exhausted, so had a lazy peaceful day.  I started the day with hot buttered toast for breakfast while listening to the news, accompanied by streams of hot milky tea.  Then I did a bit of tidying up, and went to the Saturday Farmers’ Market just around the corner, where I bought two types of bread, a dozen eggs, a bag of apples, and a pot of honey.

I should have stopped there, but as is my wont drifted into the local charity shops, only to discover curtains in my favourite William Morris fabric at a ridiculously low price.  My dining room chairs are upholstered – by myself! – in the same fabric, so I thought I could go all matchy matchy downstairs. 




But alas and alack!  The shop assistant was a bit on the daft side – she claimed the curtains were 20 feet long – 92 inches!  In fact they were about 7.5 feet long, which was too long for downstairs.  For some weird reason the ceilings upstairs are half a foot higher than downstairs, and the curtains cast waves on the dining room floor which were insupportable.

So I had to take them down and put up the old curtains again, with much moaning and groaning – putting up curtains is one of my least favourite jobs.  Upstairs, the Nostalgia Studio had been subsisting on a diet of blackout curtains, which is fine for Summer but now that the Autumn chills have once again settled around the Little House something more substantial was called for.  So I put up the new curtains there.

But drat and doubledrat, I was foiled again!  Although the curtains were just the right length, the fact that they consisted of one long curtain, rather than two separate ones, presented me with a problem.  When drawn they looked great, but when pushed to one side there was simply too much material – they continued to obstruct part of the window.  While taking them down again, an evil plan hatched in my mind.

I cut them in half!  Then I hung the cut side to the ends, where the edge is obscured – by now I had been working for three hours and was not in the mood to spend a few more putting a proper hem on the cut curtain.  I can do that at some later stage, when I feel industrious.  As a matter of fact I contemplated stapling them, but since I have lost my stapler that clever plan couldn’t be put into action.

By now dusk had fallen.  I drew my new – to me – curtains, turned on the lamp, and admired the new look of my studio while drinking tea and listening to Nocturne No 2 by Chopin.  A deep peace fell upon me, and all was well in my little universe.

May you all have equally lovely curtains to soothe your weary hearts when necessary!