Saturday 5 October 2013

A New Approach to Schizophrenia – Managing the Voices


I have been really busy since I returned from La Bourboule and have not had any time for posts.  However, today was the last weekend work stint for me for a while, so I decided to air my views on a subject close to my heart.

About five years ago I first heard of a young woman who had found a new way of dealing with her schizophrenia.  She suffered from voices in her head, who were quite destructive, criticising her, condemning her, even urging her to commit suicide.  She was given medication to suppress the voices, but this fogged her mind to such an extent that she was unable to go to school for many years.  However, this woman was determined to go to university, and somehow hit upon a method to deal with her voices.

In a nutshell, she stopped the medication which suppressed the voices and started to face them directly.  She told the voices that they would have to keep office hours, as it were.  From 07:00 until 08:00 every morning the voices were allowed to say whatever they pleased, and the woman listened to them.  During this hour she paid complete attention to the voices and did nothing else.  She took them totally seriously and made no attempt to belittle or dismiss them.

If the voices tried to talk to her outside their allotted hour, she would tell them sternly to wait until 07:00 and refused to listen to them.  At first everyone thought this way of dealing with the voices was mad, but the woman went on to get her university degree and as far as I know is still leading a normal life.

I recently read a newspaper article about the Hearing Voices Movement (I have added a link to the Wikipedia entry below) which uses the same method:  Let the voices have their say, take them seriously, debate with them, but limit them to a set time.  Studies have been done on this approach, and apparently it is quite a successful way of dealing with the voices.  And since it does not involve drugs, which can be quite debilitating, it allows sufferers to lead a relatively normal life.

One of the reasons I find this approach so interesting is that I feel it may be of use to non-schizophrenics as well.  We have all internalised the commandments of certain people like parents and teachers, and long after we escaped from their clutches they continue to live in our heads as voices.  A critical teacher, a demanding parent, a jealous friend – all sorts of people have managed to set up shop inside of our heads, and insist on giving us their unwanted advice.  And we are all subject to unwanted desires and urges that intrude upon us when we least need it – maybe we can manage them by using this method?

Trying to ignore our internal voices and desires is not a good strategy, because eventually they will resurface and clamour for attention again, usually when we don’t have the strength to suppress them.  I have noticed this time and again – when people are very ill, or become feeble from old age, they become weak not only physically, but also emotionally, and whatever voices/needs/fears/etc they managed to suppress for decades come to the fore again.  This can be quite terrifying, because the already weakened person has to deal with forces which are strong and fierce, angry after years of being suppressed.  It can be like a dam breaking – suddenly long forgotten feelings and needs emerge from our subconscious, leaving us frightened and bewildered.

What the Hearing Voices Method suggests is that a voice that is confronted and talked to becomes more manageable, more reasonable and open to change.  Some schizophrenics even report that they managed to enlist the help of their voices – their voices changed from being negative and destructive to being positive and supportive!  Of course this is only possible if one engages with one’s voices and doesn’t seek to suppress them.

I have always tried to deal with whatever voices/desires arose in me as soon as I became aware of them.  I try to reason with them, to come up with a compromise, to manage them.  One of my favourite methods is to Draw a Box – to allow a force to do as it pleases within certain strict perimeters.  For example, there are times when something inside me feels very lazy and refuses to do anything after I come home from work.  But I have a long list of things I want to get done!  So we compromise.  I authorise one week of laziness, provided that certain basic tasks (ensuring the kitchen and bathroom are clean, taking out the rubbish, etc) are undertaken.  After that week it is back to normal.  Usually this works.

Or I suddenly feel overwhelmed by a deep desire for crisps/potato chips.  Before I know what is going on, I walk into a shop on my way home and buy a bag of Kettle chips, quelling all protests by arguing that this is a patriotic thing to do, as Kettle chips come from Oregon and I must support its industry!  At home I eat the entire bag in a desperate, wanton manner.  Then the guilt sets in.  An ancient voice, quite strident and nagging, gives me hell for having eaten an entire bag of crisps.  The gluttonous crisp eater isn’t around to defend himself, having retreated into the amorphous mass of my unconscious desires whence he came.  That leaves me as the target!  I am being roundly condemned for not having restrained the crisp-glutton.  Of course I could just ignore the ancient nagging voice, but well, she has a point, and anyway if I don’t appease her she’ll come back stronger than ever next time around.  So I promise to atone.  No more crisps for the next four weeks, and no more food tonight - just black tea and maybe an apple to aid the digestion of an entire bag of crisps.  The ancient nagging voice is satisfied and retreats back into the void.  Peace and quiet at last!

I suppose what I really like about the method is the focus on management, and attempt to address the needs and concerns of the internal community that makes up a human being.  I am not into suppression and eradication and final solutions and winner-takes-all scenarios.  I prefer to negotiate limits and allow freedom within these limits.  I find it much easier to get compliance that way.  And anyway, most problems can be managed; there is always a work around.  The important thing is to keep in mind what really matters – long term survival of the individual, rather than fame, fortune, or similar idiotic goals.

Whatever voices/desires inhabit us share the common goal of wanting our body & mind unit to survive for as long as possible.  And once a voice/desire is satisfied that it is taken seriously and, yes, LOVED, it is much easier to find some kind of compromise.  Even the crisp-glutton, if approached with love and respect, usually agrees that eating an entire bag of crisps should be limited to at most once a month.  Just the other day I felt that he really deserved a treat, and offered to go to the shop and buy some Kettle chips, and half way to the shop he said, You know what, I know the Pineapple-fiend is gagging for some nice fresh pineapple pieces, why don’t you buy those instead!  Why, I almost cried.  We are such a great team, my sub-conscious desires and I!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_Voices_Movement