Tuesday 17 September 2013

The Amazing Tree-House of La Bourboule


This morning I wandered around the town again during a break of preparing my English lesson.  The subject was ‘The food we eat’.  I try to focus on words that are the same or similar in French and English to encourage the little ones – it is terribly daunting to start to learn a new language, as well I know.  So I use words like ‘banana’ and ‘lentil’ rather than ‘apple’ and ‘leek’.  I also try to teach words in little groups; like ‘pig’, ‘pork’, and ‘sausage’ – two of these words are very similar in French, or ‘plum’ and ‘prune’ – ‘prune’ means plum in French.  I fancy the children will find it easier to remember the words that way, but only time will tell.

Anyway, I was wandering around trying to clear my head when I came across a cool looking entrance gate to the local tennis club.  Having nothing better to o I went in, and discovered one of the most amazing houses I have ever seen!  Old tree trunks, often moss-covered, have been incorporated into the design of the house, at least its exterior, and the effect is quite amazing.

The photos were taken in the permanent drizzle that has settled over La Bourboule.  I am sure they would have come out much better if the sky had been blue, but alas that isn’t likely to be my portion while I remain on holiday here, so you have to make do with the ones I took this morning.  I think they convey an idea of what this house is like, though.