Monday 2 September 2013

My First Day in La Bourboule – a Parade!!!!!


The first day in La Bourboule is always a busy one.  After sleeping for ten hours – yeahhhh!!!! – I performed the customary ablutions and went shopping.  I have a self catering apartment, and had to buy cleaning fluids, toilet paper, and, of course, tea.  I went to four different shops until I finally located some loose tea, Twinings Earl Grey.  I was extremely overloaded when I went home!

Then I had lunch at Le Galapagos.  Next to me sat a family with twins, about two years old.  One was very quiet, looking at a picture book, the other screamed its head off and caused all sorts of trouble.  I immediately warmed to the troublemaker.  When the father apologised for the misbehaving infant, I told him, No problem!  The child is obviously worried about something, probably the war in Syria – good for him!  The father didn’t reply, but just looked at me very strangely.  I guess he is a war monger, or maybe doesn’t have a sense of humour.  Either way, if I was his kid I’d scream a lot, too.

Then I continued my shopping.  I bought an apron, and then visited Pascal’s Delicatessen Imperium.  Such a lovely shop, I always buy more than I should.  He makes excellent headcheese, and there is the St Nectaire cheese and bilberry jam and honey, and of course a small bottle of sweet fortified wine for my evening tippling.  35cl last me three weeks, it keeps well in the fridge, too.

Then I wandered to the swimming pool to find out about opening hours.  They are simply scandalous!  All over the place, every day different, impossible to remember.  If I want to have a regular time each day I am limited to more or less 17:00 to 19:00 hours and closed on Thursdays.  That’s dinnertime!  Oh well, I shall have to adjust.  This afternoon, as soon as I have sent off this missive, I shall pack my bag and trundle over there.  It is almost half an hour’s walk, I think.  It is difficult to estimate distances here, everything is so close together – it might just be ten minutes.  I shall update you in due course.

When I returned from my excursion I ran straight into a parade.  I like to think that it was in my honour, although none of the signs actually mentioned my name.  Well, they must have heard about my innate modesty and decided not to embarrass me.  I took lots of photos to share with you, dear loyal readers!  I wish I could also share the music that was played by the brass band, particularly a lovely tune which repeatedly mentions La Bourboule and is very vigorous – the local anthem, apparently!

Later that day I went to see my doctor, who was keen to utilise several new examination implements he had acquired since my visit last year.  Apparently I was Cure-Capable, and he sent me to Les Grandes Thermes to register and pay.