Thursday 5 September 2013

Even the Birds Take the Cure in La Bourboule!

Only see-through bags allowed in the Therme, but it holds everything I need plus my purse plus a shawl in case it is a bit nippy - hasn't happened yet

I am slowly recovering from the shock of having my hotel turned into a holiday home for the rich.  It is very hot right now, about 30C, and I am not doing much, except read the papers and a bit of French literature, like Oncle Picsou.

Yesterday I had a most amazing experience in Les Grands Thermes!  I had completed all my treatments and went to the great central fountain to get some water to drink – this is the last stage of the daily treatment.  But it was some time before I could get my drink of the healing font, because, believe it or not, a bird had pipped me at the post! 

Occasionally small birds, some sort of sparrow I think, get lost inside the great building that is the Therme.  They fly around under its huge dome, look for crumbs at the sitting out area, and try to build nests in the potted plants.  The central fountain consists of a centre piece, sort of like a small hill, which is edged by wash basins.  Each basin has a faucet whence water pours into the basin.  The curistes hold their cups under the faucets to obtain their medicinal tipple.

On this occasion I had almost reached the basin when a bird dived from beneath the dome, landed on the faucet, and tried to drink from it.  When that didn’t work out, he hopped into the basin and drank from the little puddle that had collected at the bottom.  The bird spent several minutes drinking and bathing and generally hopping about, while a queue of curistes was forming, all patiently awaiting their turn.  Since I was at the front of the queue I had the best view!

Eventually the bird finished its ablutions, shook out its feathers, nodded in our direction, and flew high into the air, letting out a trill as it rose up upwards towards the dome.  No one had a camera, of course, we are all serious curistes and have our minds focussed on getting better – as did the bird, I suppose.  The supervisor swore this had never happened before – perhaps I should feel specially blessed?  Later that day I found 10 Eurocents underneath a bench, the largest coin I have ever found in La Bourboule, I think, so maybe I had an especially lucky day.

I took a few photos of the paraphernalia of the cure, so you can get a better picture of what is involved – also I was too exhausted by the heat to venture out today!


Strictly only flip-flops inside the treatment rooms!

This is the funnel thing you stick your face into to breathe the hot water vapours and gas

This little baby goes up your nostril - the other end is stuck into a hose

The cup from which to drink the healing waters, and the receptacle that holds the cup and the nose irrigator


PS    Today (Friday 6th September) is a little cooler and I am back in good form, so I took some photos inside the Grands Thermes, as well as of the bathing bird.  On closer inspection I believe it is no sort of sparrow at all, but a sort of wagtail.  I quizzed the natives but they had no idea.  One told me, The bird doesn’t have a name, it is not our pet and isn’t supposed to be here!  I tried to get across the idea of ‘species’, but failed miserably.  Oh well!

In case of fire ...

Decorative tree outside of the Wellness!!! Centre

Close up!

Sitting out area where I have coffee and read the papers while awaiting my turn at the Methode de Proetz

View of the Great Hall from the sitting out are

Can you spot the Bird?

The Central Fountain

Voila, the Bird Bath! Notice the sign about hygene?

Let's call him Klino Wippsteert!

As close as my camera can get!