Thursday 18 April 2013

Parisian Adventures of a Coin Collector





During my recent trip to Paris I managed to discover a fair number of coins.  To be specific, I found:

5 x 1 Eurocent (plus 1, almost! See below)

1 x 5 Eurocent

1 x 20 UK pence

2 x 5 UK pence

3 x 1 UK pence



That little lot caused me all sorts of effort!  I am proudest of the one I found in the Gare du Nord.  It was located in the exact centre of a dirty, metal encircled hole (a sort of screw receptor), and presented two challenges:  (1) to notice that there was anything aside from dirt in the hole at all (the Eurocent was quite dirt-encrusted), and (2) to realise that the little metal disc at the centre was not a part of the structure but a separate object.  There are loads of small metal button-type hole structures on the floors of tube stations, and recognising that this one was different was very difficult.  I was so proud of myself!

The other ones I collected all over Paris, in the usual places, in gutters and crevices and near telephone boxes and cash machines and under coffee tables and at the bottom of stairs and (surreptitiously!) from the floor of a bakery and near a newspaper stand.

Strangely enough I never find anything in the seriously rich areas of town.  You would have thought that rich people lose the largest coins, and that one could find Euro 2 coins quite easily in the Rue St Honore, but sadly that is not the case. 
Last weekend I finally managed to buttonhole the owner of a shop near the Louvre who had been getting on my nerves for simply ages.  I took lots of photos, so you can understand what I am on about.  I have no objection to the shop itself, it sells nautical antiques, quite out of my spending range, but then everything is in that part of town except nasty little tourist gewgaws.  No, what bothered me was the fact that this shop has windows which reach to the floor, and when you stand in front of them it is hard to tell where the shop ends and the road starts.  Why is this a problem?  Because in the corners of the windows there are scattered loads of coins!  Coins which look as though they are laying in the street, ready for the taking, fair booty for any intrepid coin collector!  But instead they are behind glass and inaccessible!  This is more frustrating than I can possibly convey to you.

Usually the shop is closed, but this time I was lucky!  Just as I was glaring at the corner coins again, the owner and his mother arrived and unlocked the shop.  And as quick as you could say Knife! I was on to him and complained about the coins and the irritation they caused passing coin collectors.  In my horrible French.  He looked at me strangely and came out to see what I was on about.  ‘But these are just ordinary French coins,’ he said.  ‘Why do you want to buy them?’  He clearly had misunderstood my usage of the term ‘coin collector’ and thought I was trying to buy rare coins he didn’t realised he had for sale.


As usual in such situations I invoked Unca Scrooge, and explained that I was collecting coins by finding them, ‘Comme Unc Picsou’ (like Unca Scrouge) in the street.  Then his face lit up and he smiled.  ‘Of course’, he exclaimed, ‘how stupid of me!’  Then he told me that he had put the coins into the corners of his shop as a sort of talisman, he used the word ‘superstition’ (same in French).  At that I forgave him, and he seemed much gratified.  We parted the best of friends.  I was well dressed, if I had looked scruffy he might have called an ambulance …

But that was not the end of my coin collecting adventures that day!  Whenever I have to wait for a train in the Metro (or anywhere else for that matter) I pace up and down the platform looking for coins.  And on this occasion I spotted one - a Eurocent in the dirt, barely visible, next to the foot of someone sitting on one of those red seats.  Normally when this happens I hover nearby, and even sit down if there is a seat available, and wait for the stranger to move away.  Then I retrieve the coin. 

But on this occasion the stranger was a homeless person (clochard) and clearly needed luck more than I did.  So after some internal moral struggle I overcame my greed for coins, picked up the Eurocent, and gave it to the man.  ‘Look what I found at your feet,’ I said, ‘a lucky coin!  Good luck to you!’  But the man did not appreciate the superhuman denial and selflessness thus displayed by me.  Instead he held out his hand and asked for a Euro!  Well he did not get one.  That’s the last time I give away a lucky coin!  I mean, honestly, all this inner struggle and overcoming my collector’s impulse for nothing?