Thursday 27 December 2012

The Great Post-Christmas Clear-Up



Much as I love Christmas, I so don’t enjoy the aftermath!  Despoiling the tree and putting it back into the garden, putting all decorations back into their boxes and the boxes back into the attic, cleaning the house off pine needles, processing all the left over food – the list is endless.

I try to make it easier by taking it in stages and interspersing it with some pleasant activity.  So I clean for one hour, and then read a book for an hour, or take a walk.  I am currently reading ‘Affluenza’, by Oliver James, just the sort of book to stop me from hitting the after-Christmas sales and indulge in another orgy of consumption.

I did go out yesterday, but not to buy anything but rather to look for coins – only four more days until year end, when I will do the Great Coin Count and see how lucky my year has been.  Obviously I am doing what I can do bump up this year’s count!  I reasoned that all those shoppers were bound to drop some coins.  In England Christmas is widely regarded as an opportunity to get plastered / inebriated / shockingly drunk, a state which often results in the sort of careless movements which cause coins to drop out of pockets, and I had looked forward to streets liberally paved with pennies.

Unfortunately I was not to be so lucky, yesterday I just found one Euro cent, and today a penny and a five pence piece.  So I went home to do a bit more cleaning up.

Just as an experiment I put my giant pine cones onto the freshly denuded Christmas tree, and you can see for yourself that my decision to hang them onto the chandelier rather than poor little old Theodor Gruenbaum was wisely appropriate.

Anyway, I am pretty much back to normal and shall spend the next few blog posts discussing other subjects!  Stay tuned for photos (can you stay 'tuned' for photos?) of the long awaited, amazingly marvelous, one and only .....  MESSERSCHMITT GIGANT !!!!!