Tuesday 25 December 2012

The Christmas Dinner ....



One of my ancestors used to say, 'Ducks and chickens are peculiar birds - too large for breakfast, too small for dinner!'  He was referring to a meal for just one person.  I am sad to report that the family's genetic stock has deteriorated, and I was no match for this duck dominated Christmas dinner - leftovers galore!

Nevertheless, it was very tasty and I can pass on a few tips.  The sprouts were cooked with raisins and nutmeg, the parsnips with candied orange peel, and the taters has a butter & parsley dressing.  The gravy was thickened with sloe sirup and the cranberry sauce was made with lemon zest, cinnamon, and cloves, plus a little sugar.  The duck itself was first boiled for an hour and then roasted for a further hour and a half.  Succulent flesh and crispy skin were my rewards for this extra effort, plus the beginnings of a decent stock.  As soon as I have pre-digested my epic meal I shall throw the duck carcass into the broth and boil it for five or six hours.  I shall then use some of the stock to make vegetable soup by liquidising the left over vegetables, and suspend some sausage pieces and duck meat in them.  Then I shall freeze the whole mess and go on a fast.  I feel rather distended!

Since you are bound to ask, I skipped the pudding course!