Saturday 29 December 2012

Hermes Scarf - Daimyo



Today seems to be my day for blogging, now that the Christmas labours are out of the way I have the time.  Anyway, here is my second Christmas scarf, also jacquard, in the most achingly beautiful shades of red and orange:  Daimyo - Princes du Soleil Levant!

This is one of my 'Vitamin' scarves - just looking at it makes me feel alive and healthy, like eating several large oranges!  Another orange scarf, Carnaval de Venise, has the same effect on me.  I look at these scarves when I feel blue or depressed, which sometimes happens in this unrelentingly miserable weather.  After a few minutes of silent contemplation my brain calms down and submerges itself in the scarf, and engorges itself with those rich nourishing colours.  It feels like becoming simply a vessel for colour, my whole being reduces to my eyes and the joy they experience in the presence of these life-affirming colours.

Colours are very important to me, especially bright cheerful ones!  I will never understand why people clad themselves in black, which makes them look like crows decending on a carcass to despoil, or hide away in drab non-descript shades, which makes them blend into the background, like ghosts in a thick fog.  Of course not every colour suits every person, but surely we can do better than black and dark muddy grey/brown/green/blue/red?  And if you must don such garb, at least brighten it up with a colourful, cheery scarf!

Getting this scarf has been quite time consuming for me.  I had spotted it on German Ebay some years ago, but the bidding went through the roof and I desisted.  But I kept thinking of it for many months, and eventually decided to track it down.  I found it in Kansas but the seller refused to ship to anywhere outside the States, so I had to enlist the help of numerous friends who came theough big time - thank you K and M for your generous aid!!!!

There is an excellent discussion of this scarf on the link at the bottom of this post, if you are interested in background and details.  I freely admit that I am being lazy by just referring people to other websites, but frankly find it preferable to stealing other people's labour by copying their stuff, which seems to happen quite a lot.  I am not an expert on these scarves, just an ardent admirer!  Have a look at these photos, and you may understand my passion!















http://codexcostinianus.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/homage-to-japan-daimyo-princes-du.html