Tuesday 28 August 2012

Miscellaneous Musings on the Cure


In case you are wondering, the photo shows a prize winning vase located inside the Grande Therme (it won the prize prior to WWII, but continues to command pride of place in the main drinking hall).

This is the fourth time I am taking the Cure, and by now I know the ropes and am trusted by the staff.  At first I was waited on hand and foot by them, but now I am allowed to insert things into my nose myself.  I also set my own timers and turn the faucets that squirt water into my various cavities on and off, and arrange the funnel in the most efficacious ways.  In terms of the Grande Therme, I have arrived!

Otherwise things remain much the same.  The large funnel which directs fine mist and later on healing vapours into my nose and mouth never fail to leave a deep impression – on my face, it takes an hour or so for the indentations to disappear.  The waiting queues for the Proetz continue to remain constant at half an hour, no matter when I show up.  And the Hebe at the central fountain, who distributes the healing water for internal application, continues to disappear for secret assignations, so we are left to our own devices and serve ourselves – no chance that we take more than our allotted amounts, the stuff tastes vile.

Yesterday I caused some commotion, because my schedule of curisting activities contained an error!  For the first five days the Methode de Proetz had been relegated from the top to the bottom of my schedule.  At first I assumed that my doctor was testing the efficacy of the method, by varying the order of my various applications, but bitter experience taught me that people sometimes make mistakes, so I brought the matter to the attention of the Matron.  She was quite horrified, and although I could not quite make out what she was saying I understood that I should Proetz first for the duration of my Cure.

This makes perfect sense, of course.  The Proetz opens my sinuses to outside influences, and if it is omitted the various rinses, mists, and vapours can’t get access to my internal cavities, thus reducing the efficacy of the Cure.  The Matron blamed computer problems, proving that La Bourboule does go with the times, contrary to all my aspersions.

Today is much quieter for me, I have ordered and arranged everything and can sit back and enjoy (so to speak) my Cure.  After I finish with the Therme I return to Chez DB for a cup of tea and an hour of reading Oncle Picsou (Uncle Scrouge), then I skip to Les Galapagos for the Plat du Jour (very nice veal today) and a large Café Crème (pas trop fort – not too strong). 

Everyone who works there knows my preferences by now and takes very good care of me.  When I arrived Saturday night there was only a young girl hovering serviceably, and told me that all my favourite tables had been reserved.  While we were arguing – I hate sitting somewhere dark where I can’t read – the talented & artistic A arrived on the scene.  A cannot only prepare the perfect café au lait, he also composes very good crepes.  He kissed me on both cheeks, removed the Reserved sign from the most desirable table in the window and put it somewhere else, and beckoned me to selfsame table.  Then he took the new staff member aside and told her about my important status as Favourate Customer and Petted Friend.  I felt tempted to stick out my tongue at her, but didn’t.  One must be gracious at all times, even when one has achieved Favourate Customer Status!

Ah, it is great to be back in La Bourboule!

Today I had to rather regretfully destroy the false impression among the serving staff that the waving statue of Queen Elizabeth, which I had sent to Les Galapagos as a present last year, depicted in fact Margaret Thatcher.....