Sunday 1 September 2013

I Had a Great Journey!!!!


Yesterday’s journey was practically perfect and more than made up for last year’s disastrous one.  Mind you, I was so knackered – still am! – that I couldn’t have handled much adversity, so it was just as well.

I got on the bus in Oxford at 04:30 and was informed by the driver that the ticket machine didn’t work, so I got to London for free!  Then I stepped off the bus at Baker Street ready to hail a taxi – my suitcase was heavy and I felt weak – when I noticed another lady who had gotten off the bus with a suitcase and looked like she was going places.  So I asked her whether she, too, was heading for St Pancras?  However did you guess, she asked.  We shared a cab for £4 each and then had breakfast together at Le Pain Quotidien.  (I decided to forgive them for their transgressions after numerous apologies.)

The train to Paris was uneventful, and I headed for the taxi-rank as soon as I alighted.  And what do you know, for the first time in human memory there were more cabs than passengers!!!!  I hopped straight into one and was on my way to the Gare de Bercy.  The taxi driver was a chatty one and we discussed all the ills of the world.  My limited French prohibited in-depth analysis, but I was able to agree with him that the government didn’t understand normal people like us and that a new revolution was overdue.

Then I hung around for two hours at the Gare d Bercy!  Remember last time when I just had two minutes to spare? I have to admit the Gare de Bercy is the last place I would want to kill a few spare hours, it is supremely un-entertaining.  One tip:  Buy drinks from the machine, the same bottle of water is Euro 1 cheaper from the machine than from the cafeteria stand.

The train journey to Clermont Ferrand was likewise unremarkable and went to plan, except for the curious fact that someone stole my German magazine Der Spiegel.  I left it on my seat to go to the loo, and when I returned it had disappeared!  I walked through the entire train compartment looking for the culprit, but all the passengers affected an air of utter innocence, so I had to resign myself to a Spiegel-less existence.

The autocar was waiting at Clermont Ferrand, again no hitch.  I managed to convince an extremely loquacious beldame who tried to sit next to me that I understood no French, so she sat next to someone else.  That old woman talked non-stop for the entire journey, and the unfortunate person who sat next to her got off two stops early to escape her.  After that she talked to the driver.  She got off the bus with me at La Bourboule and tried to press me into service to take her to her hotel, but after I took her suitcase out of the bus for her I escaped.

Someone must have tipped off the mayor of La Bourboule that I was coming, because he had arranged a fair in my honour, and dozens of cars drove around town, honking their horns to welcome me.  It was all very overwhelming.

I let myself into the hotel, having had the number e-mailed to me and let myself into my apartment, No 203 as usual.  I found my bag which the hotel keeps for me, and within an hour was settled in. Then I went to Le Galapagos for dinner since I was starved.  Entrecote de Salers with green beans and Brochette d’Ananas for dessert – the later consists of lots of fresh pineapple, basically, which is good for my health so I eat it as much as possible.  Then I went to bed and slept for ten hours solid – not bad considering that my average has been four hours a night for the last year or so!

Stay tuned for tomorrow when I report about my adventures at La Grande Therme!