Tuesday 10 September 2013

I Found a Job in La Bourboule!!!!

I am terribly excited about this.  I admit it is a very small job.  Also I don’t get paid.  But still!  Life in La Bourboule isn’t always as exciting as one might hope, so last week I decided to get a job to occupy my idle moments.  I drifted into the local school, managed to connect with the headmaster, and got myself a job as an English auxiliary teacher.  I didn’t want to publicise the fact until I had a few lessons, after all I might not have been up to the job and got myself fired!

But now that I have the stamp of approval, and the toleration of the children, I feel it is safe to share my new occupation with my trusty readership.  Everything about the school is just wonderful, it is like schools were in the good old days, only the teachers are nicer and the children are better behaved than was the case in my old school.  The children are quite young, between nine and eleven, and speak only very little English.  Perhaps my lecture today on the role of the Bank of England in setting interest rates was a little above their heads, but they faked interest very convincingly.  I also read them a story about Little Red Riding Hood, at the request of their teacher, which was perhaps a little more appropriate.

Now I am spending the evening preparing my next lesson.  The subject is, ‘How I spend my day’.  I stole the idea from a French picture book for five year olds.  I am only allowed to speak English during class, probably the teacher wants to protect the children from getting corrupted by my terrible French.  Nevertheless I hope in due course the children’s French language skills will rub off on me and that I will acquire French by osmosis, as it where.  If that doesn’t work I can look forward to a new generation of La Bourboulians growing up speaking perfect English, which will render my learning French obsolete.

How is that for a cunning plan?