Tuesday 31 March 2020

Journal of the Plague Year 11 - Office Tea Party


Make sure you have a little plate for your sandwiches!

This afternoon the office had scheduled a tea party in honour of a colleague who is having a maternity break.  A virtual tea party!

Now I am a massive fan of tea parties.  Tea parties are possibly my favourite among parties - especially the kind that take place in the better sort of hotel and come with all the necessary accoutrements.

Unfortunately I lack the needed moolah to have tea parties in such expensive places very often, and also the patience to book them three years in advance, as seems necessary to secure a slot these days.

I have to admit, I feel insulted if I have to book slots.  If I can't swan into the place of High Tea Snobbery at any day and time I feel like it, winking at the doorman while advancing towards my favourite table with the determination of a well-trained panzer division, I go into a huff and depart in high dudgeon, never to return.

As a newly opened eateria in Oxford, called The Ivy, recently found out to their cost.  They actually had the temerity to install a little man at the entrance, who stopped potential customers, and then insisted on showing them to whatever table he considered appropriate for them!  I didn't like the one I was shown, asked for a different one, was rejected - and left immediately with a haughty look on my face. Honestly, who do they think they are?

Nowadays most tea places cater to the tourist trade, and although I find most tourists relatively easy to subdue (most are noisy and in a hurry, which is detrimental to enjoying a proper tea), it is nevertheless unpleasant to have to do so.  And given the prices such establishments charge these days, I have regretfully given up frequenting them overmuch.

Instead I have retreated to my home, where I now celebrate Afternoon Tea most days, provided I am there at or around 17:00.  Usually I do this in the Parlour, which receives the afternoon sun and is very pleasantly furnished, and ideal for that sort of thing.

However, since the office tea party was virtual, I remained upstairs in my home office, which has the  large screen and headphones that are so very necessary for a proper office tea party.

I prepared the sandwiches and laid the little table in my office during my lunch break, so all I had to do before the event started was to brew the tea.

Punctually at 15:00 the party started - I was dead excited!

It was very jolly and we all enjoyed it immensely, although I have to admit I was just the teeniest bit disappointed by the plebeian understanding of 'tea party' my colleagues exhibited.  You know what I mean, mugs and things .....

Nevertheless I can wholeheartedly recommend office tea parties, and hope you will all indulge in them as often as possible during this trying lock-down period.  Do make sure you use your best silver and china, though.

Keep the tea table away from your work desk, to avoid spillages

A small embroidered table or tray cloth, and a cheerful china pattern, always improve the tea table 

Two different types of sandwich, and at least one type of fruit or vegetable, make for an interesting and healthy Afternoon Tea.  Today I had salami and egg-salad sandwiches, and strawberries.  Also a few biscuits, of course.  I tend not to have scones, or cake, though do occasionally have some seed cake. There is no need for too much stodge!

Do invest in a little silver-plated cake stand - it enables you to have all your food in a small space, and adds an air of gracious refinement to your tea table.  Afternoon Tea is an elegant meal, and should be celebrated, rather than scoffed.