Sunday 28 February 2016

Space-saving furniture

Foldable tea trolley
I love space-saving furniture, the sort that take up little space but expand and rise to the occasion.  Most useful when one has only a tiny house!

My foldable tea trolley for example fits into a six inch wide space between the kitchen cupboard and the fridge, but unfolds into a regular sized tea trolley, a useful extra space when I am involved in a major kitchen project and need additional counter space.



Ignore the dust, will you?

Another useful piece of furniture is my folding campaign bed.  Officers in the British Army used to carry such beds when posted overseas, transporting them on donkeys and elephants and such like.  Despite their somewhat suspicious appearance they are actually quite comfortable.  I slept on it for three weeks when I first bought The Little House, before my proper bed arrived.  As you can see, it isn't very wide, but perfectly serviceable.  I had my beloved Mouser sleep on top of me during those three weeks, and even the slightest bodily movements dislodged him, so it was a precarious experience for both of us.  Happy Days!

All folded up, looking like a small cabinet or table

Unfolded - the canvas is like a hammock

Don't you just love all those little legs?

All made up for one of my friends

In the front bedroom -a little snug, but it worked quite well

Lastly, I would like to show you my convertible chair!  If I have company in the Parlour I keep the footrest folded away, to create space, but otherwise I keep the footrest out.  I don't have a sofa, so the befootrested chair is my most comfortable piece of resting furniture in the house, aside from the beds, of course.

Folded out, ready for adding seat cushions to make a bed.  The part where the feet are folds into the middle part when the bed is in use as a chair, and the part where the head will be is the back of the chair

Seat cushions added


The front part, where the head is when the chair is a bed, in upright position; the footrest not folded into the main section of the chair

Morris chair complete with footrest!

Very comfortable indeed, though it does take up more space with the footrest out