Sunday 25 August 2013

What to do on a rainy day – Little London Club-Crawl



When students and the more irresponsible element of adult humanity want to fill a long Saturday night they embark upon a Pub-Crawl.  This means they go to a pub, have a drink, and then go to another pub and do the same thing, until they get bored or the pubs close or they can’t drink anymore.  Then they lie down on a bench in the park and sleep it off.  I have never done this, because I am physically weak and don’t stand up to that sort of rigor.  However –

Yesterday I felt like getting out of the house, I spent the last three weekends working and needed a bit of a break.  The weather was predicted to be rainy, so going for a long walk in the countryside was definitely out.  So I decided to go for a Club-Crawl.

My Club alas closes during certain times of the year, like August, Christmas, and Easter.  During such times club members are allowed to visit other clubs who offer ‘hospitality’.  Most of those clubs are closed on the weekend, but a handful do remain open, and I resolved to visit them and see how they compare to my own.

The rain was not just predicted but really kept on happening.  No sooner had my umbrella dried a little that the deluge started all over again.  Since I am loathe to ruin good shoes in the rain, I wore my bad weather shoes.  They are made of brown leather, and perfectly serviceable unless they get wet.  Then they immediately soak up as much water as is available, and remain so for the rest of the day.  I figure, they are ruined already so I might as well use them whenever it rains.  There are only two drawbacks; firstly, I run around in wet shoes all day, and secondly the brown die from the shoes is unstable and stains my feet a rich rusty colour.  Luckily no one can see this, so I managed to gain admission to the four clubs I had set my eyes on.  Outwardly I looked perfectly respectable, but if they had inspected my shoes/feet I would have probably been dismissed as a tramp.




The first club was just off Bond Street, very convenient for all the major department stores – I may go there more regularly in future!  The Oriental Club is full of statues of elephants and such like, has a very nice library, and cosy sitting room where I had coffee and read a newspaper.  There were quite a few foreign newspapers, well I assume they were foreign since the script wasn’t Latin but looked Chinese.  The place was almost completely empty, and the staff looked very pleased to see me – finally a customer!  I guess everyone was out shopping.  There was a large bowl of fruit at the reception counter, which gave a very welcoming feeling to the place.  This was easily my favourite among the clubs I visited yesterday.








Then I slushed through the rain to the East India Club, much closer to Pall Mall where my own Club is located.  It is a very grand affair, mahogany all over the place, and I would need a map to find anything in there.  It had the usual library and lots of meeting rooms and a huge Drawing Room, where I sat in splendid isolation and read another newspaper.  In the lobby there were several travellers who had just arrived with suitcases, but there wasn’t anyone like me who was just whiling away an idle hour reading the papers and musing about the meaning of life.





Indeed, most clubs seem to be utilised mainly during the week for business meetings and in the evenings for social occasions.  Solitary visitors like me, who just want to read the papers and have a drink and get away from the milling crowds that throng the streets of London, are few and far between.  Historically clubs were places where men hid from their womenfolk, but now that women are no longer excluded from membership grumpy old men had to find other places to hide and solitary seeking middle aged women like me reign supreme.


The Royal Automobile Club was next on my list and just around the corner.  This was just as well, since the rain had intensified its efforts to soak my shoes and I wanted to stay indoors.  There was a car in the middle of the huge lobby!  I was given a temporary membership card – in the other clubs I had just signed the Visitors’ Book – and looked around.  The place was heaving with people!  The drawing room was crowded with little groups of people taking tea or playing games or reading papers, so I got claustrophobic and escaped to explore the upper stories.  Loads of conference rooms, a huge staircase, and many rooms for overnight stays.  Every room has a little slate with a pen, so you could leave a message for the inhabitant!  I was dead impressed.




I stayed in this club for two hours because the rain just wouldn’t stop (I had found a little out of the way sitting room where I hid in a corner and remained unnoticed).  By now I had read all the daily newspapers, and started on The Lady magazine, which featured an article of how to deal with friends who never leave tips when they go to restaurants.  I perused this publication while watching the rain pelt a group of oriental tourists who were huddling on the other side of the street, and felt dry, protected, and outrageously privileged.  Of course I pay for the privilege with my annual membership fee, but still!




Finally the rain let up a little and I went to the last club on my list, the Royal Overseas League.  I expected something quite spectacular, given the name, but having just visited three rather large and splendid premises felt a bit let down by this last club.  The man at the entrance didn’t even want me to sign a Visitors’ Book, he just waved me through in a slightly bored disgusted sort of way – perhaps he had noticed my shoes?  The drawing room was quite small, and reasonably well attended.  I rang for tea three times but no one paid any attention, so I read yet another newspaper and after that snooped around a little.  I was impressed with the flower boxes and the stair-lifts – never seen one in a club ever before!, but otherwise was under whelmed and fled after an hour.




The whole experience was most entertaining and instructive, I shall have to do this on a weekday sometimes when all the other clubs are open.  I still prefer my own club though, since it has the best libraries and most opulent toilets, and, being frank, is probably the only one that wouldn’t blackball me!

Next Tuesday I shall continue my adventures in clubland when I meet up with my Ladies Who Lunch friends.  We are meeting up in the Institute of Directors Club and then mosy over to the Civil Service Club to have lunch – I am not the only clubbable women amongst my acquaintances!  And after then I shall have to knuckle down and prepare for my annual vacation in La Bourboule, where, for some unknown reason, there don’t seem to be any clubs at all!