Monday 12 August 2013

La Banne d'Ordanche 1979





Occasionally I come across an old postcard or magazine about la Bourboule and its environs, most importantly of course Glider-Mountain, or, to give it its native name, La Banne d'Ordanche.  The postcard above shows the very top of the mountain, which nowadays features a slightly larger orientation stone circle than the one shown in this postcard - my Facebook friends can see it featured as my cover photo.  What I like particularly about this image is the chap on his mobile - I guess some things never change!


 
 
1979 seems to have been an especially successful year for the model glider fraternity, I stumbled across not one but two magazines covering that year's Glider Moot.  I tried to scan the photos, quite successfully, actually, but when I tried to upload them technology defeated me.  So I took a few photos with my trusty Nikon.  They are not perfect, but I thought you might be interested.  As you can see, the postures associated with throwing a glider into the air, and the parties afterwards, are timeless!  Some of the clothes give the game away, however - did we ever really wore those flared trousers?