Saturday 3 August 2013

Charmes des Plages Normandes – Beach Holidays Anyone?



I am in the grip of a Summer cold.  I have a splitting headache and a very painful throat, but otherwise am much better.  Either the three days of eating super hot curries did the trick, or my threat of going on a hunger strike if the virus didn’t see sense has had the desired effect.  Either way the end is in sight, I hope.

The last few days have been disorientating.  During the day I am at work, all medicined up, in the evenings I lie in a darkened room, occasionally cooled by a slight breeze, imagining myself to be the heroine in a cheap historical novel.

‘Is Madame any better this afternoon?’ asks a solicitous butler as he hands me a slice of ice cold watermelon on a silver platter.  I just roll my eyes and languidly wave him away.  ‘So Madame can’t receive the Prime Minister?’ asks the subservient one.  I briefly consider throwing the melon at him, but decide against it – it looks rather delicious, and anyway it isn’t his fault I am indisposed.  ‘I assume the same goes for the Cardinal?’  If I threw the melon at him, would he bring me another piece?  Probably not; Gaston can get quite truculent when I throw things at him.

The great thing about lying in a darkened room on the edge of nodding off is that it is easy to imagine all sorts of things.  So I imagine I am just a short walk away from the beach, and too exhausted by the heat – that much is true! – to meander down there.  I can practically hear the tide come in, and the shouts of the children – the shouts are actually real, the ice cream van is here and his little customers are making a mean racket.

Where was I?  Ah yes, the beach.  My parents sometimes took us to the beach for the day.  German beaches are usually a bit rocky, and bracing rather than sunny, like the beaches in England and Normandy, which is why little beach huts are so important!

The scarf Charmes des Plages Normandes by Loic Dubigeon evokes those chilly beaches, except for the colours, of course – they ought to be blue!  But occasionally the weather is quite hot, like in this scarf, and the atmosphere positively vibrates with heat – I remember some of those summers, too!  I remember the ice cream, and the grilled chicken with sand, and the horrible black and yellow blanket we used to sit on.  And I remember my Mother carrying me in the shallow water, and suddenly we both fell like stones, because there are many holes in the ocean floor and if you aren’t careful you go under!  And I remember stepping on a jellyfish, and being bitten by a crab, and collecting lots of black mussels, which I kept until they stank to high heaven and I was made to throw them out.  Happy days!

I wonder whether my cold would combine well with a Strawberry Daiquiri?  ‘Gaston!'