Friday 17 May 2013

Two Ladies Come to Stay - Tante Ju and Anke Sütterlin

Anke wearing a scarf gifted to me by my dear friend A - lovely colours!

I have been extremely busy lately.  The office is transferring to a new database and there is all sorts of preparation required, including training, data cleaning, and data mapping, on top of the usual work, of course!  So I come home every evening decidedly knackered.

Tante Ju making friends with Anke




However, today was a brilliant day!  First of all Tante Ju arrived!!!!  Ever since I first gave refuge to the Tiny Visitors my fame has spread among the tinier of scale model gliders, and I have received numerous requests to take some of them in (faithful readers of these musings will recall the arrival of Fatty Messerschmitt and Willibald Waco).  I try to limit my airspace to gliders, but occasionally I make an exception.  Heini Heinkel, the He111, for example, is one of the original Tiny Visitors who helped the glider models escape all those years ago and stuck with them ever since.  The He111s were used to tow gliders, so it is fitting and proper for Heini to live in the Nostalgia Studio together with the littler gliders.

Tante Ju in position above my bed

Tante Ju, who arrived this morning, is another non-glider.  She, too, used to tow gliders, especially the DFS 230 which were instrumental in the taking of Eban Emael, but she had lots of other tasks besides.  I am pleased and proud to welcome her to the fold, and who knows, perhaps one day a DFS 230 will also make its way into my abode.  I will describe her more fully in another post.  For now let it suffice that Tante Ju was called Iron Annie in English speaking countries and Junker 52 by the more prosaically inclined.




The airspace above my bed is getting a wee bit crowded!


Later that day, in my lunch break, I encountered another lovely lady.  She lacks a head and arms, it is true, but swiftly stole my heart all the same.  I was just propelling myself to a local Café when I spotted her through the window of a charity shop (where else?!?!).  She was exactly what I had been looking for and reduced in price, so I purchased her immediately.  The shop assistants who had to put her through the till argued whether she was ‘furniture’ or ‘bric-a-brac’ – I mean, honestly, of all the insults!  I am glad I came to take her away.



We went to the Café for a Latte and attracted a lot of attention.  Then I took her back to the office, where she elicited several uncomplimentary comments from colleagues (someone called her ‘creepy’!).  After work I took her to another Café, to meet my friend A for our usual Friday after work tryst – again, my lady caused quite a stir.  It is fair to say that her sort does not go unnoticed, especially when carried by someone smaller than herself (me!) down the road!


Enough said.  I shall call her Anke Sütterlin, and she will be my scarf model.  Finally I can experiment with different knots and take pictures of them!  Self portraits in mirrors are all very well, but Anke will help me to illustrate the various ways of wearing a scarf much better.  So you can look forward to lots more posts about scarves!