Saturday 25 May 2013

Oxford Botanical Garden or Parc Fenestre in La Bourboule?



I am rather busy these days and don’t get out much.  But today after a few hours work I decided to pay a quick visit to the Botanical Garden.  It is just off the High Street and I pass it on my way to work and back, but I don’t often go – before work it is closed and after work it is closed, so I have to make a special effort if I want to go and I rarely do.

But today I did!  The weather was not too bad, sunny but in that washed out sort of way, so I am afraid the photos aren’t as richly colourful as they might be.  Still, you get an idea of what it is like.  It is one of the oldest – if not the oldest – botanical gardens in the world and part of the University.  There are also glasshouses with rare plants, and a huge tank full of water which houses a water lily which has leaves big enough for a child to sit on.  Unfortunately I didn’t go in there, the weather has been so miserable recently that I preferred to soak up the sun rather than go inside.  I did bump into a few friends on the way out - how likely is that?

The 23rd was, as always, a very special day in my calendar, made more special still because I was able to bag one of the few cheap Eurostar tickets for my return from la Bourboule in September this year.  I stayed up until midnight, and one minute after midnight the tickets for my chosen date went on sale.  Three weeks ago I booked the ticket to go there, and got up at 4 am but was still too late to get a super cheap ticket – an almost cheap ticket was all that was still available.  You have to be fast to get one of those elusive super deals! 
 
One of my friends in Paris recently sent her children to go to kiddie camp in la Bourboule, and they loved it!  I am not surprised, la Bourboule is any child’s dream, especially Parc Fenestre!