Sunday 10 February 2013

Confessions of a Glider Groupie – The Tiny Visitors




Part 2 – Fatty Messerschmitt

 
When I started my series about the Tiny Visitors I had intended to review them in order of arrival, first the Red Reihers, then the others that have taken their abode in the mobile, comprising Waltraud Weihe, Mechthild Meise, Fafnir, Mini Moa, and Rex Rhoenadler.  After that I was going to move on to Willibald Waco, who is the model of an American transport glider, and Heini Heinkel, who is not a glider at all but a bomber sometimes used to pull gliders up into the air.  Then, just before Christmas, I was surprised by the arrival of Fatty Messerschmitt!


Well let me tell you, I was absolutely flabbergasted when I discovered his bulk on my windowsill!  How on earth did he get there?  I thought he had been lost sixty years ago in the South of France?



The great thing about Fatty is that he has such a loud booming voice, so I had no trouble at all making out what he had to tell me, once he had lost his initial cautious taciturnity.  Apparently Rudolf Reiher had found out that he was living in the Creativity Workshop of the Old Glidermaster in Murat le Quaire, and send word to him from Paris that most of his old buddies from The Great Escape where hanging out in Oxfordshire!  Rudolf’s message – conveyed via sparrow/pigeon/crow/stork area messenger & long distance telegraph post – had come at just the right time, because Fatty was terribly agitated about the sudden disappearance of the Old Glidermaster and sorely in need of help.



But that is another story, and I can’t tell it until I know all the details, and anyway Fatty is worried it might endanger the Old Glidermaster if details leak out, as if thousands of people were reading my blog, hah!

Anyway, as I was saying, I had intended to do the mobile crowd first, but since I haven’t yet found a way to photograph them properly and there is great clamouring out there for more Tiny Visitor information I decided to feature Fatty in this post.  He photographs quite well, bless him.

 
Fatty is a Messerschmitt Gigant, Me 321/3 for short.  They were huge cargo gliders (Lastensegler) and used during WW II to transport large amounts of equipment to the front.  They were the size of a jumbo jet and able to carry 130 people, or a tank with all the trimmings (attendant troops and all).  It was not called Gigant – giant – for nothing!



Originally designed by Willy Messerschmitt for the invasion of England in just two weeks, they were intended to be one-way gliders, used only once and then abandoned, so were made of cheap materials like steel tubing and canvas.  Apparently it was a nightmare to travel in them!  It was also a nightmare to fly them – Hanna Reitsch tested one of them and found it very difficult to work the controls, being a small person with limited strength.  The first Gigants were produced early in 1941, and for a few years they did much of the heavy lifting of the Luftwaffe.



A major headache was getting them up into the air!  The only airplane large enough to pull one up by itself (just about!) was the four engined Ju 90, and they were needed for other jobs.  One experiment was using the Troikaschlepp (triple-tow) were three airplanes were attached with ropes to the Gigant and took off in unison, pulling the Gigant after them and into the air.  This often didn’t go smoothly, on one occasion the whole formation went up in flames killing everyone on board all four planes.  Eventually the problem was overcome by adding rockets and motors to the Gigant, transforming it into the Me 323.



This lead to a philosophical headache:  Was the Messerschmitt Gigant still a glider?  Gliders don’t have take-off rockets and motors, obviously.  On the other hand, many of the Me323s were simply the original Gigant gliders converted by the addition of the rockets and motors – no re-design/re-building took place.  Personally I consider them gliders, probably mainly because the thought of a glider the size of a jumbo jet is just to cool to abandon.

 
Anyway, as you can see from the photos, Fatty has motors, three on each wing.  He says he was converted, but that may refer to his religious beliefs rather than his physical appearance, he seemed to think it a rude question so I did not press the point.  On some of the photos Rolf Reiher obliged me by perching on one of Fatty’s wings, so you get an idea of the difference in size.  Fatty flies in formation with Heini, because they are used to it, Heini having pulled up Fatty any number of times in the past before he got his motors.  Heini is a bomber, quite a large plane himself, but you can see how he is dwarfed by Fatty.



There is much more that could be said about the Messerschmitt Gigant, and perhaps I will one day say it – I have read several books on the subject! – but for now I shall close by telling you that not a single one of them survived the war.  They all perished in the line of duty, and cannot be found in any museum, so it is perhaps not surprising that so few people remember them.  But to me they are a great marvel, and I am a fan, despite their ugly appearance – I mean, a glider the size of a jumbo jet!  Awesome, just awesome.

 

I paste a few links below to knowledgeable websites and old movie reels of the Messerschmitt Gigant, if you want to deepen your acquaintance with them!
 
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtlkdfbn8I4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_323