Sunday 3 February 2013

Confessions of a Glider Groupie – Parachute Pyjamas



One of the most fascinating facts I ever encountered in stories and movies about WW II is that people made clothes out of used parachute silk.  I imagined a thick, heavy duty fabric.  After all, it had to be strong enough to hold the weight of a man jumping out of an airplane!  And it certainly looked pretty substantial in movies like La Grande Vadrouille.  So when I looked for silk pyjamas on Evilbay and found one from WW II made from old parachute silk I immediately put in a bid.  I thought it would go for a small fortune (not mine, I hasten to add), but it was quite cheap – I suspect most people had no idea what they were.



Well, they arrived last week and I am so excited!  They are made of the sheerest thinnest silk imaginable, more like spider silk than the real stuff.  I cannot imagine wearing them except in the very hottest August heat wave – you hardly notice wearing them.  They are also way too big for me, made for a man twice my size, I reckon.  The waistband of the bottom has a hollow seam into which I threaded a thin pink ribbon for fastening so they will stay put if ever I try to wear them.  I might try to fob them off on MDL – he isn’t into PJs, but surely PJs made of old parachute silk are another matter!  Who could resist wearing a piece of WW II flying memorabilia like that?



While fooling around with my camera I also tried – again! – taking photos of the Tiny Visitors who inhabit the mobile.  The trouble is, there is always a breeze or thermal in my room, so they never stay still long enough for me to get a good shot.  And I hate taking them down, because if you take off one you disturb all the others – it is a two person job, whoever comes to visit me next will be pressed into service and instructed to hold the mobile steady while I photograph its little inhabitants one by one.
So for now I include a few night shots of Willibald Waco, Quercus Robustus and Fatty Messerschmitt in a fading sunset orange glow as they fly off to another mission.  As a matter of fact the glow comes from my salt-lamp, but hey if it works, use it!