Saturday 10 November 2012

Having the Chimney Swept



I have not had my chimney swept for a few years, and it was getting high time, so I was very pleased when I found a company who was happy to send two sturdy sweeps out on a Saturday, for the reasonable sum of £35.  They were exactly on time and left no mess at all!




Nowadays chimney sweeps don’t climb onto the roof to lower a long-handled brush down the chimney (not do they send small children down the flue, which is just as well, since the size of mine would require a two year old toddler).  Instead of this top down approach they now use a bottom up method.


 


The two gentlemen taped a cloth over my open fire grate, and inserted a brush as well as a vacuum cleaner hose up the chimney.  The brush cleaned the chimney flue and the vacuum cleaner hovered up all the soot and dirt the brush dislodged.  When they were finished they vacuumed the area all around the fireplace and left it cleaner than they found it.




I observed them with eagle eyes, obviously, ready to pounce at the slightest infraction, but they were very good.  I also went outside, to watch the brush coming out on top of my chimney – doesn’t it look cool?

After that the chimney sweeps let off a smoke bomb in my grate, to test whether the flue was fully functioning.  I went outside again and watched the smoke escape from the top of my chimney – tried to photograph this, but the weather was too overcast for the smoke to show much.


Anyway, my chimney got a clean bill of health, and the upcoming cold season holds no more fears for me.  I have a stack of kindling and a large rubbish bin full of smokeless coal, apples in the fridge and chestnuts in my cupboard – long grim Winter here I come!