Sunday 25 November 2012

Christmas Market in Paris



Yesterday I went to the Christmas Market at the Champs Elysees.  Basically it consists of lots of chalet style booths on either side of the street.  Starting at the FDR end, coming from the Tuileries (did you know tuileries means brick factory?  Well, OK, tile making workshops), I wended my way up the road on one side until the chalets stopped.  Then I went to the Virgin Superstore to buy some DVDs, crossed the road, and explored the other side.



Having been hardened by my de-cluttering, I didn’t buy anything at all.  Every time I saw something nice, alarm bells rang in my head and a loud booming voice kept repeating, This is Clutter!  This is Clutter!  Duh!  What a way to shop.  I did manage to buy two Schaumkuesse or whatever they are called in these politically correct times.  Basically egg-white and sugar mixed until stiff, put on a little waffle, and covered with chocolate.  Bise (?) de Noel, I seem to remember, they were called in France.  I looked it up at home, but all I got is Tete de Negre, which is now frowned upon.  Anyway, I ate two, and jolly good they were, too.  I plan to eat more at the London Christmas Market next week!


Since my inner voices did not allow me to buy anything, I looked for coins instead.  What a disappointment!  Not a single one did I find!  You would have thought that in a carefree environment where lots of people spend small amounts of money – ie no credit cards etc – lots of coins would be lost (and then found by me!), but no.  I can only assume that the numerous small children got them first.  Mind you, I can’t really complain about my coin haul yesterday, I found a total of 18 coins, including two US cents and one whole Euro, which is exceedingly rare.



Having made myself sick by eating too many of the above mentioned confectionaries I went to the Virgin store to buy DVDs.  It took me an hour to find four DVDs!  The trouble with the sort of French made films I like is that they usually have no subtitles, except possibly English ones.  Since I need French subtitles to learn French I am pretty much stuck with American movies translated into French.  I got It’s a Wonderful Life and Lady for a Day!  Also two others which made it into my Christmas presents basket.



After that I took many photos of those aspects of the Christmas Market which I found unusual.  I left out the little chalets, they are impossible to photograph since there are too many people in front of them, and anyway most Christmas Markets I go to have them.  Except in Paris they are white, whereas in Germany and England they are wood-coloured.  I prefer the wood-coloured ones, actually, they create a cosier atmosphere.  Not that it was cold this weekend in Paris.  Mid-teens, a bit of rain and wind, but nothing too bothersome.



Anyway, I had quite a good time! 

The animals move!!!!

Only one more month until Christmas!