Wednesday 23 April 2014

Underneath the Copperbeach ....


I have always had a soft spot for copper-beeches, every since my days at PSU when I used to sit beneath one of them and drink tea and read the Times after work in the Summer.  There were several copper-beeches strewn across Portland, and I gave them each a name.  Stonegirdle Copperleaf was surrounded by rocks and situated in a parking lot, and Eirek Copperleaf was the one guarding the Library.

Where I now work there is also a large copper-beech.  It lost a limb recently, and since it had managed to escape my naming frenzy so far I christianed it Beren Copperleaf.  I sincerely hope I don't have to tell you why!  Obviously the reference is to Beren Erchamion (the one-handed), who lost a hand fighting the Dark Lord.  Incidentally, there is a cemetery in Oxford where Tolkien and his wife are buried, and the gravestone reads Luthien for her and Beren for him.

Anyway, Beren Copperleaf has all sorts of interesting vegetation planted at his feet, and right now there are bluebells which look absolutely stunning!  So I took some photos.  Pip Pip!







This one escaped!