Sunday 6 April 2014

Decluttering ....


The decluttering continues.  Last Saturday I went back and forth with my little Granny-Porsche seven times to the nearest charity shop, donating my unwanted items.  It is quite cheery walking past the shop every day to and from work now, seeing my donations prominently displayed in their windows!  I am especially pleased with my massive ‘mural’.  Years ago I painted an entire bedsheet with a mountain scene, complete with a castle, waterfall, walled city, lake with a fisherman, and even a dragon.  Lots of little white clouds, too!  It looks totally cute, the sort of thing a kindergarten should like.  I never used it, because I didn’t have a wall big enough to display it.  Well, I have such a wall, but I can’t stand far enough away from it to actually see the ‘mural’, so it would have been pointless to hang it up.  Anyway, this epic artwork is now the background of the charity shop window!!!!  I am so pleased; finally I can see it in all its cheerful glory.  Of course eventually someone will buy it, but in the meantime I admire it twice daily for a few minutes.

Decluttering is teaching me ruthlessness and cruelty.  Never mind an ornament was a Christmas present from a good friend, if it needs dusting it gets donated.  Spare carpets, pictures, curtains, books, wooden sculptures, they have all been decluttered.  This attitude of ruthlessness has been spreading to other areas of my life as well.  I realise I have been collecting not just excess material possessions which clutter up my life, but also spiritual and emotional experiences that clog up my brain.