Sunday 7 July 2013

Oxford Beach and Castle

The mountain that was once topped by the Keep

Oxford is having a little heat wave, it is positively la Bourboulian around here!  I use the occasion to dry-run my holiday in France, sorting what clothes to pack etc.  And since I always take lots of photos in La Bourboule as well, I am now operating in holiday mode, as much as the office will let me.

So to kick off the photo posts, here is a little bouquet of Oxford Castle!

Oxford's answer to the Paris Plages!



Tower in background is Nuffield College library

Entrance of Castle - long used as a prison, until a few years ago it was turned into a hotel

Residence of the prison governor



The stocks - family version?

The Stocks - hands and head only


A good thing they didn't have credit cards in those days!

The mount is mainly filled in, but a few remnants remain

I think this is the tower Queen Maud escaped from by climbing down a rope in the 12th century
There are lots of trout in the old moat!


Shot from top of restaurant next to the Mount

Ditto

My favourate photo - doesn't it look like southern France?

Road to castle - there is a market there at Christmas!