Wednesday 12 September 2012

The City Hall of La Bourboule


Despite having less than 2,000 inhabitants, La Bourboule has any number of beautiful buildings of the type more generally seen in large towns.  The weather has been rainy ad overcast again, and to show sympathy my body revived its cold, so I have been staying indoors much of today and yesterday.  It is bound to be good for my French – I have watched the DVD Cleopatra in French over six times already, and at four hours a sitting that must have made an impact.


Nevertheless I got a bit stir-crazy this afternoon, and went for a short meander.  First I visited the Mairie (City Hall).  I have fond memories of it ever since I managed to convince the Major to let me sponsor the bench up La Roche des Fees, and shall never forget their last objection to my scheme (after numerous others raised during my six month campaign had been laboriously resolved), “But if you buy this bench for your friend, where will everyone else sit?”  This sums up La Bourboule perfectly for me, so charmingly old fashioned and otherworldly one hates to disturb their repose and is tempted to tiptoe away quietly without having achieved one’s designs.



Architecturally I am most fascinated by the staircase barristers, painted a beautiful fire-engine red.  Since it was quite dark inside, my camera kept flashing, which changes colours dramatically.  But when I changed the setting to ‘Night’ I got colours much closer to the originals.  Just behind the entrance there are all sorts of stone arches which serve no discernable purpose except being photographed, so that’s what I did.



Having thus exhausted my camera’s batteries, I dripped over to Pascal’s Delicatessen Wonderland to buy my leaving presents for the hotel and themes.  I figured I’d do it today, if the weather improves I might need my remaining two days going up various mountains and what not.  Pascal has a special offer, if you buy half a ham you get a free sausage thrown in, but I am to lazy to carry a ham half way across Europe – maybe I’ll order one for Christmas?  Just three more months!