Friday 14 September 2012

My Last Day in La Bourboule


It is always the same, on my last day, when I am super busy, the weather is great and I decide to take a long walk, usually up the mountain.  Thus it was today.  Georgeous sunshine, and beautiful blue sky – one day I will figure out how to have a polarising filter effect on my camera and have truly great photos!  It is very frustrating, because my sunglasses make colours so rich and saturated, and then I look at my photos and everything looks washed out.

Anyway, I took to the road and walked basically for six hours.  Oh my aching feet, not to mention thighs and other assorted muscle groups.  But it really was a great day.  I deposited three rolls of toilet paper in the toilet of the Glider Shack – having waited until the fifty or so bikers has disappeared from view, I don’t want them to discover the toilet and muscle in on my laboriously transported paper – and scaled the heights of la Banne, taking photos as I went along.  I even climbed under the Antenna to try a few shots, thus adding an interesting new angle to my repertoire.

Barely home I had to go to Le Galapagos, because I had promised to come by for a last supper (as it were).  Not only did they insist on letting me have a free meal, they also poured alcohol down my throat until I was a bit tight (well it doesn’t take much, especially at the end of an epic hike).  They only let me leave early when I promised to have a coffee tomorrow before my Autocar leaves.  Wonderful people, a real home from home! 

For this post I am trying out how many photos I can incorporate, the number seems to have increased recently (might it be my new camera?  Then I must do a bit more house cleaning and prepare myself emotionally for life away from the Auvergne.  Because, to quote my newly favourite film, “C’est chouette, La Bourboule!”