Sunday 2 September 2012

Les Iles Britanniques …..



….. is the name of the hotel where I am staying.  I am not sure one can call it a hotel, there is neither room service nor cleaning staff who turf you out after ten and turn your room upside down.  LIB rent out apartments, very light and airy and warm, with a kitchen and bathroom included. 

The walls are half a meter thick, and very well insulated.  Even in the middle of winter the inside is quite toasty.  The best part for me is all the windows.  My house back home is quite dark, and having three windows in one room really is the height of luxury for me.  Even on an overcast day my room is flooded with light.  A perfect place for someone with depression, I should think.

Indeed, when I feel a bit low la Bourboule often springs to mind.  Plenty of sunshine, clean air and water, peace and quiet, long walks in the woods, and of course excellent food at Les Galapagos, never fail to comfort and hearten me, even if only in memory.

The fair is still going strong just across the road and river, but the windows are double glazed and I don’t hear too much of the noise.  I am drinking tea and reading Picsou and am fiddling with my squiggly toy Zebediah Allnixguts.  He has lost both eyes by now but is otherwise standing up well to my repeated squishing and pulling and kneading – you know, the kind of thing one does to that sort of toy.

I did some laundry today.  The hotel bought new clothes dryers, and it took considerable skill to assemble this one.  It’s a good thing I am so smart, otherwise I might still be struggling!

Last night I took a few low light photos with my new camera, just to try it out.  One out of each window.  The last one is with the zoom fully extended – I think it looks quite good!

The top one is of the hotel itself, taken from the Fairy Rock where my bench stands.  It is in good nick, although several delinquents have carved their names into it.  Oh well, one must expect these things.  You can spot my room at the back of the building, on the third floor, just behind the tall fir tree.  I can see my bench from one of the windows!