Sunday 3 July 2016

Musings on Independence - America the Beautiful



OK, so it's another scarf celebrating the United States ....

I am very pleased to have this one, it features the emblems of all the different states, with a map of the whole country in the centre. For some weird reason this scarf, which often goes for megabucks in the US, was languishing on Ebay for BIN £50 for quite a while.  I was theoretical on a Scarf-Ban, but no one, not even the very strict colleague at work who is tasked with keeping my scarf habit under control, could have vetoed my purchase of this beautiful, historically relevant, and cheap! Hermes scarf.

Click the link below for the same scarf, framed, on sale for £1,329 and gloat on my behalf!

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/wall-decorations/decorative-art/framed-hermes-scarf-american-bicentennial-hugo-grygkar/id-f_2483942/

The scarf hails from 1976, and was designed by Hugo Grygkar.  It celebrates the 200 year anniversary of 1776, when the USA became independent.

Being of old an Oregonian nationalist I have tried to wear the scarf with the Oregon motto - The Union - showing, but it is located awkwardly, and more often than not New Jersey and West Virginia make the running....

There is probably some sort of meaning in this, perhaps Oregon is being misplaced because it didn't join the union until 1859 - the only date I can remember, being 100 years before my birth year - but I refuse to countenance any and all suggestions that Oregon is anything other than the best and most important of all the United States - take that, Texas!