Sunday 31 July 2016

Celebrating International I Love Broccoli Day!!!!


Today is 31 July, so it is International I love Broccoli Day!!!!

Things have been terribly hectic recently, what with political upheavals, changes at work, relatives dropping dead, and new projects to tackle, I don't know where the time has gone.

Nevertheless, one must never be too busy to celebrate, and today we celebrate  International I Love Broccoli Day with yet another exciting recipe. It is quite warm outside, so I chose Broccoli Salad for today's feast.  It is a very simple, yet tasty and light, meal.

You boil broccoli al dente, give it a light dusting of freshly grated nutmeg, and toss it with fried bacon bits and mixed nuts (I toast the chopped nuts together with the bacon, but remember the nuts need less frying time).  Then I sprinkle a little lemon juice and grated cheese over the broccoli, and its all done!

By the way, vegetables often taste nicer if you put a dash of Tabasco sauce into the boiling water .....




Delicious with boiled new potatoes.  Any leftovers can be liquidised, added to the vegetable boiling water, and turned into broccoli soup.

 Happy International I Love Broccoli Day!!!!


PS  I have had a few inquiries as to what scarves to wear for  International I Love Broccoli Day.  So, as a Bonus Feature, please find below pictures of Le Potager Extraordinaire.  I haven't actually found any broccoli on this scarf, but there are other cabbages and especially cauliflower depicted, so I think it is an acceptable scarf to celebrate  International I Love Broccoli Day.  Anyway, I don't have a scarf that features broccoli, so this is the best I can do!

Le Potager Extraordinaire, by Pierre Marie, Hermes, 2014