Thursday 17 September 2015

Le Mont-Dore


Yesterday started off quite well, so I decided to go to Le Mont-Dore, about 7km up the road from La Bourboule.  It is also a spa, an old one - already the Romans had a therme there.  It is located in a narrow valley, so everything is much more cramped than in La Bourboule.  It is said that Le Mont-Dore is for the luxury end of the spa market, whereas La Bourboule is more down to earth.  I am not sure about that, if you are looking for diamond-encrusted mustache curlers and such like you will be cruelly disappointed in either location.  There is quite a lot of skiing in Le Mont-Dore in the winter, and I have never seen so many shoe-shops anywhere else.  I did manage to locate a shop that sells lace curtains, nice ones made from cotton locally, not the polyester type ones you see elsewhere.  I often admire them in French houses, and bought some in this shop - they had a sale ....

Two hours were more than enough to scope the place out top to bottom, and since the weather was sunny I decided to walk back as well, rather than wait for the bus - a big mistake!  Yes, you guessed it, rain rain and more rain, on and off, with a few gaps that allowed me to take a few photos.  A truly beautiful walk, though.  I found a 10 cent piece while trudging along, my first coin in La Bourboule this time.  It is a funny thing with coins - you would have thought it easier to find them where lots of people walk around, not next to a road in the dirt ....

Three more days and I am off home again!  Time is a funny thing in La Bourboule, it seems like I only just arrived, and as though I have been here forever, both at the same time.

The hight of Charlannes - the weather was good when I set out

Downtown Le Mont-Dore

Post Office

Grand Hotel - very disappointing inside, I tried to have a superior lunch there and decided to wait until I got home to eat instead

Narrow little streets





Delicious ham is made in the Auvergne

The Thermes



Chairs neatly stacked - lots of places are closed already for Fermeture Annuelle

Central Park




Lace curtain shop

What I bought

Cute, eh?



Looked good when I left


These flowers grow wild in little cracks in the asphalt!




Lots of little waterfalls along the way




Moss-covered tree

Memorial along the way

and another one



That's what I got home to, dripping wet