Friday 16 January 2015

Let there be Light- the Dennis Seversification of DB Hausen

Flemish chandelier

Every time I visit Dennis Severs' House I feel deprived and impoverished in my own home.  Imbued with the spirit of times past, I reject the bright lights derived from electricity and return to the homely tranquility of bees wax candles.




I wish I was more like my friend MG, who, after visiting Dennis Severs' House, mused on what sort of book one might set in it.  Me, I plot and scheme of how I might change my own home into a similarly enchanted abode.  All a huge amount of work, and tough on the budget.

Lotus lamp


The flower opens and closes, you know!

This time around I was hit especially hard - well, I had time on my hands before going on to my new job in London, so could afford to spend some time on my nostalgic tendencies.

Modern mirrored device - bright but terribly modern

I bought firstly, a Flemish chandelier from the 1890s, secondly a lotus lamp which I equipped with a 10 watt light-bulb which is almost like a candle, thirdly a modern device made of mirrors, fourthly a set of candles mounted in front of a brass oval plate, fifthly a brass mirror in which to reflect a candle, and lastly a Normandy Lacemakers Lamp - all pictured in this post.

Not sure which ones I will keep - some would make excellent Christmas presents!

The Lacemakers Lamp was quite a bit of work, because someone had converted it to electricity, and I had to prise open the bottom to get into the inside.  I ripped out all the modern accoutrements, and turned the lamp back to its old self, using a bamboo chopstick as the candle push-up stick.

Lacemakers Lamp



The trouble with reading by candle light is that the light is rather dim, so by placing the candle in front of a mirror - as in the modern device, or inside a polished metal surface - as in the Lacemakers Lamp, one can increase the amount of illumination cast upon one's page.

Candle in front of mirror


The Blaker below is handcrafted in Germany by Hans-Ulrich Walther and a lucky Ebay find - I paid less than 10% of what they are new.  These devices used to be hung in rich people's houses to aid in their illumination, and really are quite effective.  Also look very classy!

German made Blaker

This evening I shall sit in the splendor of all my candles, reading Dickens and eating sugarplums, and feeling 150 years older than I really am!

Happy weekend!