Sunday 9 March 2014

Lost in London - Tideway Village


I had another great day in London yesterday, mainly noodling around near the Globe Theatre and getting lost again.  This was my second attempt to locate it, but I once again had forgotten my map and V was not amused having to trundle around the London riverside for three hours.  She was even less amused when I discovered the map at the bottom of my handbag later on, but that is another story.

Anyway.  The weather was absolutely stunning in the afternoon, though the morning was a little overcast.  First we had a look around the area of the Houses of Parliament - well, behind the area, there were way too many tourists in the main venues.  But all we had to do was walk towards the side streets and there was no one around at all - so that's where I took a few photos.






We also had a quick walk around the little park behind Parliament.  Towards one end is a children's play area, and it has a musical stepping area - you step on a metal plate and it makes a sound.  Well, it did for everyone but me.  Apparently I step too lightly.  I gotta gain some weight so I can make more of an impression!






During our subsequent ramble we found something really amazing:  Tideway Village!  It is nestling along the waterfront close to Battersea Power Station.  The whole area is one big building site.  We had to snake our way along a long and winding path, searching for access to the river, and suddenly were confronted with a community of houseboats!  Imagine the scene:  on one side of the little path you see dozens of dilapidated old vessels, on the other a group of skyscrapers being build!  Surreal and mind-boggling.

Apparently the little community of doughty water-rats are currently engaged in a battle for survivals with the developers, obviously I signed their on-line petition immediately (hope it isn't too late!) and wish them every success for the future.  Here is the link, if you are interested.

http://tidewayvillage.blogspot.co.uk/














They've even got a security gate in front of the ships!