Sunday 2 March 2014

Cleaning the House and De-cluttering – the story continues

I spent most of yesterday cleaning the house – not an activity I enjoy!  I don’t mind tidying up, but dusting, wiping, and hoovering are just so not me.  Nevertheless they have to be done periodically, mainly before friends come to visit.  When you are a German living abroad everyone assumes you are a fanatical cleanliness fiend with a special sideline in chlorine and other abrasive chemicals, and if visitors see that your house is even the tiniest bit dusty or disorderly they assume you are sick and insist on you seeing a doctor.  Some decades ago I tried to re-invent myself as one of life’s natural born dust-bunnies, but the stereotypes where too strong for me and I failed miserably.  So now I always scour the entire house before anyone comes to visit, especially people who (a) don’t know me all that well and (b) are quite fond of me – a dangerous combination!

Whenever I thus spent the five or six hours it takes to make the place spotless I meditate - in a disgruntled mood - on the overabundance of my possessions.  That’s how I got rid of two-thirds of my books some years ago, and half a dozen bookcases.  As I dust an ornament I ask myself, am I going to have to do this for another fifty years?  I feel like a slave of my possessions, and I am a rebellious slave!  So while I am dusting I slowly fill a carrier bag with all the stuff I don’t want to ever dust again.  Then I store the bag in my lean-to, and nine chances out of ten within a week or two all the discarded ornaments sneak – I know not how – back onto the surfaces whence I had removed them.  However, the one in ten times that they don’t manage to do this – largely because I take the bag straight to the next charity shop – have sufficed to significantly reduce the amount of clutter over the years.  In a similar vein, when I had the kitchen refurbished six years ago and had to take everything out I ended up throwing away half the stuff I stored there-in, because I was too lazy to clean it all off and try to fit it back into my new kitchen.

The arguments against just making a clean sweep and throwing the lot out have mainly to do with me owning really nice stuff which I imagine might be worth quite a bit of money.  Not that I paid a lot of money for them in the first place – mainly I picked them up cheap at a flea-market.  Nevertheless throwing them out seems a bit like burning money!  However, giving them to a charity shop is of course different – they will sell for a small fortune, or so I fondly imagine.  Oxfam, who got my books, send me a statement telling me how they made about a thousand pounds from them, which on the one hand made me feel good – what a benefactor I am! – and on the other rather angry – all that money I could have made if I hadn’t been too lazy to sell them on Ebay!

The thing is, selling on Ebay and other such places is a mugs game.  Huge effort for very little reward, in the main.  Yet worse, it is almost impossible not to look at the things other people are selling, so you end up buying more than you sell!  The same is true for most people I know who sell stuff at flea-markets and jumble sales – they always spend more than they take in.  So I just fill bag after bag and enable some charity or other to make a windfall.

One thing I noticed about myself is that once I got rid of something I do not replace it.  Since I dumped all those books I have hardly bought any new ones.  I regularly used to go to a second hand book shop and emerge with a dozen likely volumes, but now I hardly ever buy any books at all.  Every time I am tempted to buy one I think of all the books I threw out in the past and cease and desist.  The same with furniture; since I sold about half of my carefully hoarded antiques – reputedly worth a fortune, hah! – for a song I am practically immune to buying any more.  It is true that I acquired a few 250 year old tripod tables for less than £30 – self constraint has its limits!  But generally speaking, I have learned my lesson.  Getting rid of stuff is so much more trouble than acquiring it, and since I am getting lazier as I age I buy less and less.

Consequently the house has gotten much emptier over the years.  The main victims have been the moths who used to have orgies in my carpets and wall hangings!  I had too many of them (both moths and wall hangings) to keep them separate and mothballed most of them in the attic.  Now the moths are on a losing wicket, and I am in negotiations with a local Muslim preacher about donating my excess carpet bags and rugs to refugees who might appreciate a few mementos from their homeland.  Of course there are my scarves, but they take up very little space and require no dusting or cleaning (except occasionally after I have worn them), so I allow myself this exception.  Even my cardigan obsession has faded, and I have had a major clear-out.  Now I am eyeing my porcelain collection with separatist intentions.  It is true that they all fit in the cupboard, so dusting is not an issue, but nevertheless I feel I could easily shed that Old English Rose coffee set.  I already reduced my flower vases by half …..  The trouble is, once I get started my roving eye sees excess everywhere, and if I throw out to much my innate Victorian will eventually emerge and attempt to re-clutter everything ….

Possessions can be such a nuisance!  I swear, if the house burnt down I would get a one bedroom apartment and become a minimalist.  A minimalist who owned two hundred scarves.  Scary or what?