Sunday 12 January 2014

Another Great Birthday!



Friday was my birthday, and since one day isn’t enough to celebrate it I extended it to last for three days.  Friday I treated myself to breakfast at the café, later enjoyed the customary birthday gifts and congratulations at work, and afterwards some good friends took me for cocktails.  Saturday I went to London.  It was a beautifully sunny day, crisp but just perfect for Walking & Talking, which we did to great abandon.  I also managed to buy another scarf, Chasse en Inde, in turquoise and green, which goes very well with a certain cardy which I have never been able to wear because I had no matching scarf for it.  Aside from that I just bought tea.  I tend to buy tea only once or twice a year, in large quantities, and am always amazed how expensive it has become.  £80 for a year’s supply seems a tad on the steep side!  Of well, I never was a PG-Tips kind of girl – I am expensive!

Aside from shopping we mainly walked around.  I took lots of photos of Green Park, just off Piccadilly, and Trafalgar Square.  Quite a few tourists, of course, but not as many as I expected, given the weather.  We also indulged in several large meals, mainly of the seafood variety, and haunted my Club’s premises.

Today I had a long breakfast, first with another friend who had forgotten it was my birthday and paid for my breakfast by way of an apology, then with the Observer and streams of weak milky coffee.  I said it once, I say it again, there are few joys greater than wasting copious amounts of time by reading the papers and drinking weakish coffee in a congenial environment.

Then I went shopping.  I had been given all sorts of vouchers for Christmas and was anxious to spend them.  And I was extremely lucky at East in locating a fabulously green boiled jacket!  I had been looking out for one for a number of years, and never managed to snag one until I saw this one hanging in the sales section.  Sadly it was the wrong size, but after some encouragement, and mentioning the fact that this was my birthday!!! the sales ladies set to and managed to find one my size in Brighton.  They will send it to me later this week.  Yippee!!!

I noticed that mentioning my birthday has a very good effect on others.  Aside from friends paying for my meals and drinks and plying me with gifts, I got a cut-price taxi ride from the man who deposited me near Harrods, and a complimentary bottle of perfume from the Hermes boutique (in addition to six sample bottles!).

The last few months have been very green for me.  I managed to acquire a little collection of green cardigans/pullovers/jackets/vests, as well as a few green scarves, including the justly famous and much coveted Brides de Gala en Finesse in the grass green colour way.  When combined with yellow scarves, they enable me to realise my long held ambition of looking like a dandelion in a field of fresh green grass – an excellent look, you will agree!  Perhaps I will do a little post on green clothes soon, paired with yellow accessories, and then you can judge for yourself. 

In the meantime you will have to make do with my photos of Green Park, the Green Wall of a hotel opposite Green Park, and a snap shot or two near Trafalgar Square, which is just down the road.  I hope your weekend was just as nice as mine!

Just so you know where we are














The Green Wall


Notice the red bird houses?