Sunday 17 November 2013

Autumn = Hot Water Bottles + Unfinished Icons



 

Autumn has arrived.  I took long walks in the countryside both today and yesterday, in bracing weather and sturdy shoes.  The sky was overcast and the thermometer low, and I was unable to take a single decent photo, alas.  I observed numerous rabbits and squirrels and birds, gathering up the bounty of the harvest season and getting ready for winter.  When I got home yesterday I saw a lone rabbit sitting in a field amidst the rising fog, reminding me of the little poem:

A lonely rabbit

in a harvested field

contemplates summer

in a fog-shrouded world.

Autumn has fallen

with trouble, with care.



On nights following such days I like to take a hot water bottle to bed.  I used to be a great fan of them, until my Mouser – may he rest in peace! – got in on the act and ruined my enjoyment of them.  My usual procedure is to fill the bottle with hot water half an hour before I am ready for bed and slip it under my duvet, at the centre of the bed, so that the bed is nice and warm by the time I want to get in.  Whenever I did this I was carefully observed by the warmth-loving feline who shared my domestic space.  He feigned disinterest while I was in the room, but as soon as I left he would seek out the bottle under the duvet and lay down on top of it.  When I then wanted to get into my bed I had to somehow curl around him and the bottle, which was unsatisfactory in all sorts of ways. 
 
To circumvent this misappropriation of my hot water bottle I started to put the bottle into different places, at the bottom, towards a side – but the Mouser was like a heat-seeking missile, every time I tried to get into bed upon my return from the bathroom that feline had found the bottle and made himself comfortable on top of it.  One evening I sneakily observed him from behind an almost closed door, and saw how he systematically walked up and down the bed until he had located my supposedly well hidden bottle. 
 
What was a woman to do?  I bought another hot water bottle, so he could have his own, but that didn’t work, either.  He made super-feline attempts to monopolise both hot water bottles, by stretching himself as long as possible, and even trying to drag the bottles closer together.  During one such attempt the stopper came off and the bed got soaked, and after that I abandoned the hot water bottle practice altogether.  Recently I decided to re-introduce it, seeing as the bedroom gets cold and the Mouser has departed, though it does seem a little disrespectful to his memory!
 
Another thing I do when the days draw in and I have a little time on my hands at home is to bring out my icon and apply another layer of paint.  I have been working on this icon for ages – about ten years, I should think.
 
As long as I can remember I had always wanted an icon.  Of course it is not the sort of thing one can just go out and buy, unless it is a very small one.  But I didn’t want a small one, I wanted a big one, painted in oil on wood, in the traditional style.  One day I decided that I really couldn’t accept my un-iconic existence any longer, and decided to paint one myself!
 
I trudged to the homeware stores and bought a large piece of plywood, which the assistants cut into four pieces for me.  Each piece was 50cm square – I figured I might as well paint a few more!  Then I schlepped them home and applied sizing to the first one.  After it had dried I was ready to start painting my icon.
 
The only trouble was that I am not really able to paint.  I am good with composition and colour, but don’t have the craftsmanship needed to paint properly.  If I paint a car it looks more like a car than like an airplane, but it does not look like any particular car.  I had figured that icons would be easy to paint, since they are a bit simplistic anyway, but that was a grave misjudgement!
 
To facilitate the creative process I had bought a book about icons – I always buy a book when I want to do anything – and picked from among the illustrations a likely candidate to copy.  You may think this was cheating, but I wasn’t interested in creating any sort of art – I just wanted to acquire an icon in the cheapest way possible.  So I set to, and applied many layers of paint over the weeks and months.  But I was never really happy with the results, and eventually banned the icon into the attic.  But ever year before Christmas I take it down again and have another go.
 
Occasionally kind friends inquire about the icon and ask me how it is going and whether it is ready to be exhibited any time soon?  But I always have to disappoint them.  However, pressure has been applied by an American friend to see how far I have gotten, so today I took some photos of my handiwork.
 
Photographing a painting is almost as difficult as painting it!  Depending on light conditions the photo displays different layers – sometimes I see things in a photo I overpainted years ago!  Anyway, I did what I was asked to do, and below are three photos of the fabled icon – and yes, P., it really does exist!  I did not just make it up!  Duh!