Sunday 10 November 2013

A Really Nice Day Out



Yesterday I had another lovely day in London, doing all my favourite things and then some.  ‘Course it would have been even better without the incessant rain …





I must have been unusually alluring, because from beginning to end I was befriended by strangers whenever I found myself alone.  It started on the coach, where a uniquely lovely lady sat next to me and discussed Psychology with me for the entire journey.  Then a charming American couple chatted me up while I was having breakfast at Pain Quotidian.  During my customary visit to the Selfridges Hermes scarf counter a very elegant Frenchman engaged me in conversation about Kermit Oliver and, impressed with my knowledge of his favourite scarf designer,  tried to buy me a scarf because its colour ‘matched my eyes perfectly’!  I declined his offer since I already have enough blue scarves, and escaped to my club, where I met a retired professor and his lady companion and had a long chat about the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, Oregon.  They had barely left when K arrived.





We exchanged news and gossip while watching a little Armistice parade through the window, and drifted into the Civil Service Club for a spot of lunch.  While there a Bag Piper came in and piped a few tunes while collecting contributions for the soldiers.  It was a bit loud, being indoors – I think a bagpipe sounds best from a distance, as a mournful tune floating across mist-shrouded mountains.  Nevertheless it was quite nice, and we all made a donation and I bought a poppy.





During lunch we discussed scarves, as one does, and I mentioned my recently acquired scarf Le Reve de Gloria by the Australian Aborigine artist Gloria Petyarr.  ‘There is an exhibition of Australian artists in the Royal Academy of Art,’ K told me, ‘why don’t we see whether we can find a painting by her?’  Why not indeed?  K is a member of the RA and gets to go in for free, and she can take a friend as well, hurrah!





As it was we were lucky, there weren’t too many people and we had a leisurely wander around the exhibition.  There was a mix of aboriginal and colonial artists, as well as some modern paintings.  We didn’t find anything by Gloria, but it was nevertheless very interesting.

Next to the RA is the Burlington Arcade, a little shopping area which contains a unique dangerous (to me) shop, Berk, which sells Ballantyne cashmere cardigans.  Since the Scottish Ballantyne factory went bankrupt last April, there will be no more of these wonderful knitwear products once Berk have sold their last remaining stock, so this was my last chance to add to my cardigan collection, and I give myself full credit for having bought only a single one as a Christmas present for myself.  Ballantyne cardigans are few and far between on Ebay, and although the standard colours like red and camel do come up sometimes I have never seen the more exciting ones like foliage green or peacock blue.  Of course one can buy the Ballantyne cardigans made in Italy but they are of a much lower quality and just as expensive.  If you are interested in the Ballantyne story, this link gives an excellent account:
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2013/05/another-obit.html

Pleased with our shopping we returned to the club for tea and cucumber sandwiches and chewed the cud until it was time to go home.  K is off on another of her epic adventure holidays in two days time and planning any number of future trips, so conversations with her are always entertaining.  Personally I prefer to have uneventful holidays in places I know well – daily life is quite exciting enough for me, thank you very much! – but I love to live vicariously through my much travelling friends, and always enjoy hearing about their adventures.


On my coach trip home, you guessed it, I sat next to another chatty individual, a student from Canada, who entertained me with his tales about the outback in Labrador until we touched down at the Park & Ride again.  Between wolverines, ice bears, and the Hudson Bay Company the 90 minutes journey passed very quickly, and soon I sank into my bed, happy and exhausted after a really nice day out.  Thank God for good friends and kindly strangers!